PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 admin password recovery or reset

Greg
06-10-2017, 10:13 AM
I'm helping a friend whose Win 7 computer is a mangled mess and hasn't been used in over two years. She hasn't got a clue what her Admin password is. I see a myriad of websites where I can download some software and burn a disk, but I hesitate to choose one straight off without knowing if they're dodgy or not.

Does anyone have a safe recommendation?

Kame
06-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Offline Windows and Password Registry Editor (ntpasswd)

KarameaDave
06-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Offline Windows and Password Registry Editor (ntpasswd)

+1

wratterus
06-10-2017, 10:52 AM
+1 for NT Password Reset. Easiest option for Win7. There are at least half a dozen other options too if you can't get NT going for any reason.

wainuitech
06-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Haven't used NT password for ages, to old and slow. I use a program from Lazesoft - http://www.lazesoft.com/ Download it http://www.lazesoft.com/download.html, free home edition onto a working computer, make the Bootable CD /USB drive, boot the offending PC from the media you created, click on password Recovery - select your account, reset / remove password (leave any prompts blank), reboot computer - Password is gone. :)

dugimodo
06-10-2017, 01:16 PM
sometimes you can get around it using the hidden admin account to reset the password.
https://www.lostwindowspassword.com/enable-windows-7-default-administrator-account.html

06-10-2017, 03:39 PM
I'm helping a friend whose Win 7 computer is a mangled mess and hasn't been used in over two years.

when you break into it :-)

if it hasnt been used for that long, you may get some issues with winupdates . Its an old issue thats mostly resolved now, but if Winupdates cause
grief , there is a known way to resolve it , that was specific to Win7 .
Also, winupdates will now install "telemetry" (MS spyware) . That can be disabled as well, and its worth doing as "telemetry" can sometimes cause real
slowdowns as it slurps though the HD .
Also, will need to look at the AV if theres 3rd party AV installed, bound to need an upgrade to newer version

or just upgrade it to Win10 and wipe away all the years of accumulated issues :)

Greg
07-10-2017, 02:41 AM
Thanks folks. Problem is resolved. Except she must've spilled some gunk over the laptop's keyboard at some stage, cos a third of the keys don't work and has to use the on-screen virtual keyboard. Hmm, dunno how I'm gonna sort that one!

chiefnz
07-10-2017, 04:31 AM
Thanks folks. Problem is resolved. Except she must've spilled some gunk over the laptop's keyboard at some stage, cos a third of the keys don't work and has to use the on-screen virtual keyboard. Hmm, dunno how I'm gonna sort that one!

Probably better off buying a new laptop really, especially given the unit is 2 years old.

Greg
07-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Probably better off buying a new laptop really, especially given the unit is 2 years old.

With respect mate, the machine is closer to eight years old, not two! And if buying a replacement was an option they would've bought one years ago when their existing one became inoperable!

wainuitech
07-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Thanks folks. Problem is resolved. Except she must've spilled some gunk over the laptop's keyboard at some stage, cos a third of the keys don't work and has to use the on-screen virtual keyboard. Hmm, dunno how I'm gonna sort that one! Simple, get one from Aliexpress. Have a look at the back of the keyboard, there will be a part code, search for it. takes a couple of weeks to arrive but a lot cheaper than getting one from any NZ suppliers.

I picked up a Keyboard for a otherwise good computer that I was given, the owners were going to throw it out even though I said it could be fixed.

Keyboard ( at the time) = $17.65 (NZ) Free shipping. To buy the same KB in NZ was $45- $55

If you're unsure provide the make/ and code number and I'll post some links. Got to look as some of them are of different layouts ( russian for example)

Greg
07-10-2017, 08:22 PM
If you're unsure provide the make/ and code number and I'll post some links. Got to look as some of them are of different layouts ( russian for example)Thanks Wainui.

Make: Toshiba Satellite L650
Model: PSK1JA-0FN017
Serial: YA352203Q

wainuitech
07-10-2017, 10:12 PM
Thanks Wainui.

Make: Toshiba Satellite L650
Model: PSK1JA-0FN017
Serial: YA352203Q

Looking at the Model/Make, this "should" be the correct ones. under $20. Looking at the keyboard, there will be a panel that gets unscrewed/removed above the keyboard, the screws removed and should simply lift out a little, and unplug the ribbon.

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20171007005711&SearchText=Toshiba+Satellite++L650+keyboard Look out for the right type, meaning some are russian layoput. The differences in pricing on Aliexpress are different suppliers and layouts. Example, the 1st is a US Layout $14 and the 2nd is a russian. You see details when you open the link.

Same KB in NZ $45+ Freight. AND if you really want a WTF moment !!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Have a look if you got it directly from Toshiba ( HINT: Sit down first) https://store.emprgroup.co.nz/c-41913-keyboard.aspx

Normally I look at the original Board, remove it from the actual laptop, and if you look at some of the pictures there is a sticker under the KB, cross reference for other codes.

The problem you have to look out for, when you mentioned something may have been spelt, got one here at the moment, a cup of tea took out the Keyboard, Hard Drive and as discovered today the left mouse button. The right works OK, as well as the touch pad. Only found that as I always use a USB mouse, hate those damn buttons on laptops ;)

Greg
08-10-2017, 07:24 AM
You're a Gem Wainui. Ta mate.

I always use a USB mouse, hate those damn buttons on laptops ;) Ditto! :mad: