PDA

View Full Version : HTML5 + Ubuntu

SurferJoe46
29-09-2017, 05:29 PM
My Ubuntu Software Library says that to install HTML5 I need to dump about twenty items that look to me, to be very serious and necessary to Ubuntu Studio. :eek:

I think I saw (and chickened-out from doing) this same list if I wanted to run Chrome too. :mad:

What can go wrong - or better yet: How badly can I screw this up?

So far, Ubuntu and I have come to a decent understanding. I don't mess with it and it don't mess with me.

Kame
29-09-2017, 06:43 PM
I'm not sure why you need to install HTML5? It's built into web browsers, it's not software but a programming language for the web, it's a bit odd.

Sometimes software becomes obsolete or no longer needed after updates. If you can say exactly what it's trying to install then maybe someone will understand what is happening.

SurferJoe46
30-09-2017, 02:40 AM
I'd like to see YouTube and some of those news sites that use HTML5 to show videos.

I get the message that my browser has no way to show that material....... or words to that effect..... in the lack box that is reminiscent of a YouTube video box before it's Full-Screened and then it suggests downloading HTML5 to allow it to run videos.

When I check the application guru at the bottom of the screen (while I'm in Firefox), I can search for and find a listing for Chrome....which is supposed to fix the problem.... as Firefox is nought to do..... and then the big demolition of all sorts of things that look important to me, if not by their sheer numbers (population) alone is noted as required.

I don't want to harm U-studio so at tgat point I opt-out.

SurferJoe46
30-09-2017, 02:41 AM
(Tge Spellchunker strikes again!)

Kame
30-09-2017, 03:14 PM
So how are you trying to view YouTube videos? Through your web browser?

Any of the latest Firefox or Chrome/Chromium browsers support HTML5, updating just these browsers if possible should let you watch the videos. I'm not sure how old your Ubuntu Studio is but it should just work. The problem that browsers normally have is when the videos are in Flash or uses DRM.

It's possible that you need additional codecs, etc that are probably is not installed by default. Usually has a package name with restricted in it as well as the gstreamer plugins the good the bad and the ugly. In a terminal you could do:

apt search restricted gstreamer

to get a listing of those packages then

sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-{addons,extras} gstreamer1.0-plugins-{good,bad,ugly}

if that was the name of the packages that showed up. Whether this will solve your issue I don't know, but it's handy to have these packages installed in either case.

SurferJoe46
30-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Are those updates going to take out any necessary devices/tools/add-ons that I need somewhere elsr?

Just asking

SurferJoe46
30-09-2017, 06:10 PM
Google "Help" says I've got Firefox version 55.0.2.

Then I get this:

"Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available.
Click here to visit our frequently asked questions about HTML5 Video "

Kame
30-09-2017, 07:11 PM
I too run Firefox 55.0.2 (64-bit) and have no problems with viewing YouTube's HTML5 videos.

If you are running any extensions (in Firefox : Tools | Addons | Extensions

I suggest disabling them all and testing, and if it does load, slowly add an extension back (if needed) and reload to see which one may cause the issue.

SurferJoe46
01-10-2017, 02:59 AM
OK. I'll do that this afternoon. Hopefully that'll do it.

Even with this minor problem, I'm enjoying U-Studio a lot.

It loads much faster than Windows.....although it can't beat Android, at less than 15 seconds.

Laggard
01-10-2017, 03:28 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUfCsSch8Zk this seems to be what you need Joe

SurferJoe46
03-10-2017, 05:53 AM
Got relatives in Las Vegas... a little tied up right now with that.

Will do as you posted ASAP.