PDA

View Full Version : Internet keeps disconnecting

11-01-2002, 05:36 PM
My IBM Thinkpad 760xd keeps losing the Internet connection, regardless of whether an email has come through or not or how long I have been connected. I had a similar problem with my 486DX/100 desktop running win98, but fixed it easily with Tools-Internet Options. The laptop however is running winMe and doesn't seem to give me the options I had with win98. How can I stop my Internet connection from being interrupted. It's tiresome having to dial up frequently.

12-01-2002, 01:29 AM
Need a little more information
what ISP?, type of modem?
sometimes just re-installing tcp/ip can work wonders.Do you have only one ISP in dial-up connections, or several? If it's a pay isp phone their helpdesk and get them to take you through the setup from scratch, it's little things like log on to network etc that can affect performance.

12-01-2002, 08:35 AM
My isp is paradise (only one I'm with). I had them talk me through the setup process on the laptop as I couldn't remember how. The modem is apparently a 33.6k card. Also, 64mb ram and 3.0gig hdd.

12-01-2002, 02:50 PM
Call waiting can cause dropped internet connections. The fix is to add the 'suspend call waiting' prefix at the beginning of the dial up number to your isp.

e.g: 987 6543 becomes
#52,987 6543.

The call waiting service resumes automagically at the conclusion of your online session.

You'll need to check with your telco what the suspend call waiting number is fot that service.

Good luck. :-)

17-01-2002, 01:29 AM
You need to check your internet connection settings. I have just posted a reply to another query, with instructions for this

see: email links wont work posting

Hope this helps