PDA

View Full Version : Outlook express 6 loss of messages

11-01-2002, 04:12 PM
Hi there running outlook express 6 and i had a lock up next thing all my email folders are empty and a new weclome to putlook in my in box.
Can i recover these files and if so which program is the best to do it.
Found a demo or R-studio, looks like it has found the data but at 160 usa is not an option to use. Thanks in advance

12-01-2002, 01:51 AM
Sorry don but I have no idea how to retreive your email apart from using the search function in your start menu.
I do suggest though that you do like me and create a folder on your desktop and click and drag all you wanted mail over to it...that way if outlook dies you havent lost the lot. I also have a brilliant program running called Roxio GoBack. This reverts your computer to exactly how it was at the time you choose....awesome for those times you wish you hadnt played and is great for ditching those programs that dont want to uninstall properly...warning though....it deletes all that was not on your system at that time including mail and saved items. Sorry I couldnt be more help

12-01-2002, 03:58 AM
Hi Don.
Sorry to hear about your problem. Something similar happened to me a while ago. Different reason: same result.

Hopefully all your messages from OE6 are still inside somewhere. Theoretically, they should be in C\windows\application data\identities\etc. If not, use Start, search, for files or folders, and type in *.dbx Whatever .dbx files are found is your mail. It may not include the very latest before the crash, but should have most of them.

Once found, you can use a search engine to find a freeware program called 'DBXtract' That will enable you to view your mail files again.

I hope that helps. Good Luck.

Cheers.

12-01-2002, 07:34 AM
i found the dbx files they are all 58 kb and where they should be it is as thou someone emtpyied them to the recycle bin and erased them,. Using R studio file recovery i can see them from the day before but as is a trail version i can not retreive them, i am wondering if there is a cheaper or a trail version of a utlity that will allow me to get them back, R Studio is $160 us so not an option to use