PDA

View Full Version : jerky,laggy.computer is slow

11-01-2002, 12:04 AM
i hav amd duron,720mhz,256ram windows me.adsl nokia ni200 on jetstart. but evry time i play counterstrike my game gets real jerky,laggy after 10 mins.i dont think its the server, my ping is still good,under 80.dont know if its the computer or what? help ppls.

11-01-2002, 12:48 AM
Could be any number of things.

Usually when 'jerkyness' is involved it suggests something could be wrong with your video subsystem. What video card do you have? Have you installed the latest drivers? What version of directx? etc.

Are you behind a firewall? Maybe that could be causing some issues.

Getting rid of WinME might go along way to sorting out your problems.

11-01-2002, 01:05 AM
Yes, it's possibly the hardware.

Yet your computer is way fast enough for anything you should need to do on the net including games.

The symptoms you mention suggest a cache of some kind is getting full and the game is bogging down as a result.

But it could also be the ASDL connection. I'm connected to a nameless ADSL (Jet Something) from a company called nameless (or Xtra) and I suffer serious drop-outs on an ongoing basis all the time. I mean every couple of minutes.

It makes a mockery of the term broadband. So it could even be some of that tech drama interfering.

My guess? Telecom/your ISP is letting you down. Can you fix it ? No. I doubt it. Maybe PC World has the clout. I hope so. Robo?

11-01-2002, 01:09 AM
what fps are you getting normally and whats itt like when it goes laggy??

add net_graph '3' into your config. you may alsp need net_scale '5'
net_graphpos '0'

i hope thats right been a while since i've done hl configs.

11-01-2002, 02:38 PM
Re Andy's comments about dropouts, I too am on Jetsomething from additional.co.nz, have been for over 12 months. I have never experienced a dropout since I installed my Nokia Ni500 (yeah yeah, another of Billy's boring promo's for Nokia again, no they don't pay me, they just make great routers) that makes 9 months of fast, problem free surfing.

If you are suffering from dropouts Andy, don't look at Xtra, look at your line quality (house wiring) and your hardware. I also upgraded my house wiring to meet Telecom's spec for reliable ADSL and what d'y know, no problems. Telecom recommend upgrading to a two wire system instead of the old 3 wire. It's easy to do plus I rewired everything in Cat5E for good measure.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)