PDA

View Full Version : Primary master/Primary slave

10-01-2002, 11:35 PM
Hi, I just added a new 10gig hdd to my system which already has a 3.2gig.
I removed the 3.2 after fdisking & formatting it, installed the 10gig, loaded on the OS and booted up fine. The only problem is the 10g is set as a Primary Slave. I have tried changing it in the Bios to no avail. I have tried auto detect and changing it manually. The Bios shows it as a 10gig so there are no detection problems etc. When I put the 3.2g back in to use as a backup drive it is listed as the Primary Master and of course I can't boot because there is nothing on it. Both HDDs are the same brand (Seagate) and according to the tops of the HDDs have the same jumper settings. I have tried swapping cables around but that doesn't work either. I'm stumped, can anyone offer any advice please.

Thanks in advance

10-01-2002, 11:49 PM
Did you try changing the jumpers on the two HDDs? next to where the IDE cable plugs into the drive there should be 3 pairs of short pins (for want of a better way to describe them) with one pair having (hopefully) a jumper on it. On the 10g find which pair of pins corresponds to the Master setting, and put the jumper on this pair. Ditto with the 3g, except set it to Slave. Now plug them back in and see how things go.

10-01-2002, 11:56 PM
It has to do with the jumper setting on the drives. If you are using cable select on the drives it depends which connector the drive is plugged into or set the 10GB to Master and the 3Gb to slave using the jumpers. If you have already done this and it didn't work, go into the bios setup and delete both drive, save and reboot, then back into setup and run drive auto select.

11-01-2002, 12:20 AM
Hello E.D,

Did you use the Seagate Disk installation wizard to set up your drives, this utility by default loads bootmaster, which enables you to install your drive as a master without changing the jumper positions (causes many a tech to scratch their head, seeing the system boot off the secondary master)if this is the case you have a couple of options, you can go back to the maintenance section of Diskwizard and uninstall bootmaster (you will then need to change the jumpers to make the 10GB master)or you can simply install the 3.2 GB on the secondary IDE as a secondary master.
This is the only way that I know of for a Hard disk to be able to boot off the secondary master position, so it is almost certain that is what has happened.

Alan

11-01-2002, 12:48 AM
Thanks so much guys.

Problem solved, now I have 13.2 gig to play around with.

Thanks again.