PDA

View Full Version : startup

10-01-2002, 10:22 PM
When my pc starts up i have a long list of programs running in the back ground(other than my virus scanner and zonealarm), such as rundll and rnaap. Do these need to be there? how much ram will they take up? for some reason after start up my pc is very unstable and it doesnt take much to lock it up. I downloaded 'end it all' which is great and after i run it my problems are solved. So how can i edit the programs that start when i boot up my pc? End it all only leaves explorer, systray, zonealarm and nortons running

10-01-2002, 10:36 PM
there was a post on this recently. I can't see it at the moment but it recommended this site: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm as a placew to find out all about these start-up bits and pieces and is well worth checking out.

10-01-2002, 10:41 PM
Hi Mike

What OS are you running? If it is Win9x, try

launch MSCONFIG.EXE (Start > Run, type: msconfig , Enter.)then select Startup button to enable or disable programs at start up.

Alex

11-01-2002, 12:27 AM
Are you running Windows98? I can't claim to to be able to fix your problem, but the files you mention are useful.

Rundll is a video utility (Is your graphics card a Matrox model of some sort?) that allows you to change colours/resolution in Win9x, and Rnaapp is the dial-up networking library in Win9x.

If you don't need to connect to the internet or change your monitor specs on-the-fly, you can safely turn these things off. (My personal feeling it's not these though. They're pretty stable).

Hold down Ctrl+Alt and press Delete and the Task Manager will appear. Select the one you want to unload and click 'End Task'.

Do the Ctrl+Alt+Del thing again and End Task the other.

That's it. No restart required. If that makes a difference, congrats. You fixed it. If not, you'll have to repeat the process for all the other apps (except Systray and Explorer) running in the background until you isolate the offender.

Bon Chance.

11-01-2002, 02:03 AM
http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Uncheck.htm

11-01-2002, 03:33 PM
I went to the pac-portal site as mentioned above and found it great....they have a listing of the bits that appear in your startup and what they are and wether to keep or not....I also got their start up controller which is simple to use and hey presto....startup is quicker and I have more resources available...love it