PDA

View Full Version : Win 98 Generic drivers for Plug and Play devices

10-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Can't reinstall my Flightsim joystick after all the settings disappeared - been advised that plug and play stuff without their own drivers, are picked up on installation by Windows own generic drivers. Assuming I may have lost them how can I re-install these drivers for Win 98. At the moment I keep getting an unconnected message and can't begin to re-program the joystick. I have checked the stick out on other systems and it's OK.

10-01-2002, 05:43 PM
Barry

Have you uninstalled your original jostick installation?

If not try that first then reboot and let the computer detect the joystick again. Point it to your original drivers disk and you should be back where you started before the gremlins struck.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

10-01-2002, 08:54 PM
Billy,

Thanks for your input. I have re-booted about 10 times, trying different things. As the joystick is plug and play, it hasn't got any drivers of it's own, it originally was simply a matter of installing it and Windows did the rest. Since the crash, the same installation isn't working as Windows won't recognise it. As there were no Drivers, there doesn't seem to be anything I can identify to delete and re-install. Make sense ?

10-01-2002, 08:54 PM
Billy,

Thanks for your input. I have re-booted about 10 times, trying different things. As the joystick is plug and play, it hasn't got any drivers of it's own, it originally was simply a matter of installing it and Windows did the rest. Since the crash, the same installation isn't working as Windows won't recognise it. As there were no Drivers, there doesn't seem to be anything I can identify to delete and re-install. Make sense ?

10-01-2002, 08:55 PM
Billy,

10-01-2002, 09:04 PM
Billy,

tks for your input. I have re-booted about 10 times. The problem is, there are no drivers with this joystick, it is simply plug and play. The idea seems to be that Windows picks it up after ther installation and runs a form of Wizard to calibrate same. That's my problem as it's not functioning or recognising the new installation, just telling me that it's not connected. As there are no drivers, there doesn't seem to be anything I can remove to give a clean re-install. It is my feeling, after much mixed advice and experiment, that the Windows software to re-install has been corrupted or removed. Make sense ?