PDA

View Full Version : Disappeared CD rom?

10-01-2002, 03:23 PM
I have recently re-installed win98 se and all was fine... untill i tried to install some drivers from my cdrom. I was able to access my cd drive in 'my computer' and found the install files I wanted. I then double clicked and a warning message came up saying 'system error...' 'didnt install drivers' and that I needed to reboot.I did reboot and now windows can not find/show my cd drive? Help me please.

10-01-2002, 05:53 PM
have you tweaked anything recently in the BIOS?

10-01-2002, 06:06 PM
put in a cd then try going to start-run-M:/-OK
'M' is your cd rom drive letter

this should go to the cd

good luck!

bobby

10-01-2002, 06:12 PM
Does your bios detect the CD before windows boots up?

10-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Right click on My Computer on your desktop, choose properties and then the Performance tab. If there's a message about real mode drivers and poor performance (can't recollect exactly what that message says) then that might be a clue.

Could the drivers you tried to install be IDE drivers by any chance? If so, restart in safe mode and remove the offending drivers.

Settings/Control Panel/System/Device Manager Tab:

Under Hard disk controllers you'll find a line something like 'Intel 12345AB/CD PCI Bus Master IDE Controller' (It'll be different to that line but similar syntax). Click on that and click the 'Remove' button. It'll warn you you're about to remove it so say yes.

The PC should be restarted. As it boots back into Win98 it should tell you it's installing new drivers. When prompted, choose 'Have Disk' and then steer the dialog to Windows\System.

Choose the older of the drivers listed which should give you your original HD drivers and your CD back.

Note! If any of this doesn't match your experience, or you feel uncertain about messing about with this stuff, don't do it. It's highly annoying if it gets messed up. Not to mention the possibility your Win98 may not load in anything other than Safe mode.

My Asus MoBo had to have a BIOS upgrade before if recognised the IDE controller correctly so don't be disheartened if this fix is not the final one.

Hope it helps. And good luck.