PDA

View Full Version : speed

10-01-2002, 01:07 PM
I have a Toshiba 430 CDT Satellite laptop. The problem is that no matter what I'm in the speed is just getting slower and slower. This includes the internet or games. What can I do to solve this & speed my computer up a bit more?

10-01-2002, 01:29 PM
Scandisk, defrag, turn off things unused, in startup. Check at least 10% of hardrive is free.

Best of all, reformat HDD, and reinstall everything.

10-01-2002, 05:05 PM
Hi Wayne

I support KO's suggestion:
reformat the HDD and perform a clean installation.

Cheers
Alex

10-01-2002, 05:29 PM
Ummm

Going first up for a reformat & reinstall is overkill really in my opinion and it can be quite a time consuming ordeal for the inexperienced. I'd go for the scan disk, defrag and close of unnecessary programs first before doing a demolition job Wayne.

Just make sure you run scandisk and defrag in safe mode. You could also clean any rubbish off your hard disk and uninstall any unwanted programs. Just make sure you back up your data before you start.

You didn't say what your OS is but I assume it is one of the Win98 family. I have a box on Win98 that hasn't needed a reinstall in a couple of years & still runs clean and fast, but then I don't download much in the way of free or shareware etc or load/play games.

Don't kill the elephant when all you really need is a snack!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

10-01-2002, 06:16 PM
hello

for internet try taking out your phone line plug in or what-ever plug-in and blow the connection, both of them .
and make sure the line is at it min. length.
and careful on reformatting
ive heard it can wipe out all info

go to your modem settings and make sure your modem or what ever is giving you internet is going at max.(the bigger the no. the better it is .
also try a net speeding program

good luck
bobby