PDA

View Full Version : Removing Standby option

10-01-2002, 01:01 PM
Okay, working on that old computer that I was having trouble with about a month ago...

Standby is an option when I want to Shut Down (along with Restart and Restart to Dos mode)... anyway, I want to remove the Standby option, cause this computer can't handle it... how do I do this?

10-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Possibly an option in control panel, power options.

Or turn off in bios, power management.

10-01-2002, 03:06 PM
...hmmm, i'm trying to be a little creative with this suggestion, Mike.

I'm working on the principal that if one knows the answer to a problem one could - theoretically - reverse the solution and create the 'problem'. Right?

Worth a try (?)

The following MS Knowledge Base Article explains how to 'restore' the missing Standy option in Win 98 & ME.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q188134

T'was just a thought!!!

e_

10-01-2002, 09:53 PM
Well, I think it's down to how brave you are Mike.

There're some registry keys (as always) that hide/show the variables within Win95/Win98 std dialogs. I have no idea, however, which one(s) need modifying. Nor do I propose to guess.

But if you were to search the registry using regedit and the keyword standby, it's entirely possible you could fluke the appropriate entry and turn the 1 to a zero. I personally wouldn't attempt it though.

Try MS's Site and search the knowledge base. It'll be there for sure.

BTW, I'm typing this out on a reallllly old 200MMX and it has Standby so your machine must be Jurassic.

Cheers, :-D

10-01-2002, 11:15 PM
errrm, gee thanks Andy :)

actually its a 333, but for some reason it doesn't like standby... won't come out of it... that's why I want to get rid of it, so it doesn't confuse the people it belongs to

yeah, I might try the registry... didn't think of that