PDA

View Full Version : formatting

10-01-2002, 11:08 AM
i would like to know all ms dos command to format hard drive , for setting up windows again (me or win98)and creating a startup disk from ms dos
well ia hope your ans will be very help full and i would be able to thank you.

10-01-2002, 11:35 AM
Have a browse here and all will be answered.

http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm

Hope it helps

10-01-2002, 12:57 PM
format c: will format c:

format a: /s will make a boot disk by formating a: and then copying your system files over. If you plan on using this disk for reformatting purposes, its a good idea to copy fdisk.exe onto the disk as well just in case.

10-01-2002, 01:56 PM
open up a dos window and type

format /?

that will tell you all

10-01-2002, 04:38 PM
It is sometimes essential (if for example, your computer cannot boot from a CD), to have a DOS driver for your CD, and MSCDEX.

If you want to format your disk so that you can reinstall a Windows system, you a Good Idea to make an 'emergency rescue disk'.

You will find a tagged page to do that in 'My Computer/Add/Remove Software' .

10-01-2002, 04:43 PM
To create a startup disk in ME go to start/settings/control panel/add remove programs/startup disk. This will create a startup boot disk with some basic drivers to get you up and running after the format. Next go to the manufacturers sites and download and save all the latest drivers for the bits you have installed....ie modem etc. This is most important!! Back up all that you want to keep onto disk or cd if you have a burner....remember to write down all your addresses etc too.
Once you have everything and are ready to format then insert your startup disk and reboot.
On the ME startup disk you'll see option 4...start with minimal boot. choose that and ms dos will start.it should appear as a:\ (I think) enter c: which is for your main drive...I am assuming that you only have one drive...if you have several drives(partitoned) then you will have to repeat this for all drives.
Next is the big one....ms dos should be showing c:/ or similair....type format c: leave the space between.
It will ask you if you want to format and you decide.
It will eventually finish formatting and hey presto you have a blank drive.
WARNING!!! if you have a large Hard drive then ms dos will not see it after the format!! You MUST partition your drive in dos before you can install windows....I found this the hard way. Let us know if you do have a large HD and I'll send you the instructions on how to partition in dos...its easy.
Now...after the format it should be showing c:\ still.
You need to change this to the cd or floppy disk drive. Do this by typing the drive letter followed by : ...ie d:
Insert your cd/disks and start installing your windows again.... Please note this is a brief guide on how to do it...things can go not to plan and you can end up in deep trouble. If you have any questions or are not sure then ask before you reformat!!
Once you have entered the format command there is NO going back or jumping online to ask for help!!

10-01-2002, 09:00 PM
Geez!! dipstick..somebody should frame that reply.

It's a work of art.