PDA

View Full Version : windows xp problems

09-01-2002, 11:37 PM
Hi there everyone,
my computer is starting to get rebuilt - I rebuilt it (physically) in a new case with a 300W power supply, and have since got all the hardware setup within Windows 98 SE. My problem is with Windows XP - it doesn't wanna install!

I have decided to format my two current XP partitions (one is from my last crash :)), and reinstall, but I constantly get errors regarding memory (in general). I have tried switching out memory, and whilst the error message seems different every time, it generally refers to the page file. My last error included 'PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA'.

Can someone suggest how I should go about installing windows Xp?

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan Giles

10-01-2002, 12:01 AM
Faulty hardware, a buggy system service, antivirus software, and a corrupted NTFS volume can all generate this type of error.

From here you should be able to get a clue on what to do. Faulty hardware is usually related to RAM (main memory, L2 Cache or Video), removing unneccessary hardware could help.

Disable antivirus software while installing.

remove the partitions and redo it again.

10-01-2002, 09:33 AM
Can you borrow some memory to try??

If you are running 2 sticks you could try initiating 4way memory interleave.

Try checking the memory timing settings within you bios and possibly try less aggresive memory timings.

But first I would just check and see if you have a faulty module.

Also if you are running more than one block check wether you have a single sided and a double sided module together, I have found some computers throw a mental when you do that whereas others wil run fine.

Got this little ditty below of info straight from Microsoft,

SYMPTOMS
While you are installing the Windows operating system, your computer may stop responding (hang) while displaying the following error message on a blue screen:

STOP: 0x00000050
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

CAUSE
This error message may be caused by faulty memory (RAM) in your computer.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, replace the faulty RAM.

MORE INFORMATION
The faulty RAM could be located in any of several areas, including the secondary RAM cache, the video RAM, or the computer's main memory. To determine where the faulty RAM is located, use the following steps:

Disable all caching on your computer, including the CPU cache and L2 cache, in the computer's CMOS settings. For information about how to use your computer's CMOS configuration tool, please refer to your computer's documentation.

If you can successfully install Windows after disabling all caching, try re-enabling each cache, one at a time, to determine the area in which the faulty RAM is located. If you still receive the error message, continue to the next step.

Temporarily replace your video adapter. If you can install Windows after replacing the video adapter, the video adapter you replaced is faulty.

Temporarily replace the main memory installed in your computer. If the RAM in your computer consists of multiple SIMM modules, you may be able to swap SIMM modules to determine which has the faulty memory.

For example, if you have four modules of 8 megabytes (MB) each, remove two of the modules and try installing Windows again. If the Setup process still does not succeed, swap one of the SIMMs in the computer with one that you removed and try again. Continue this process to determine which of the SIMM modules contains the faulty memory.