PDA

View Full Version : FIREWALL ADVISE

09-01-2002, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone..... reading Robos thread (re firewalls) further down the page has got me thinking....

Do I really need a firewall?

I use my PC for basic stuff - playing the odd game/music, surfing the net, chatting online, sending emails -

So going on the above criteria, what would a firewall protect me from - and say my computer was invaded, what damage would/could be done???

Regards, ALAN ;-)

P/S: I run Nortons Anti Virus, which I update weekly

09-01-2002, 09:25 PM
Alan

Jury is still out for me. I have installed ZoneAlarm and reaction so far is that it is pretty wet, but seems to do more than BlackIce which just lay there.

It blocked my connection to the NT server on my network, and I couldn't stop it (kind of pissed me off but isn't a major).

I am still not convinced it is required for me.

But you don't mention what sort of connection you have. Dial up?

robo.

09-01-2002, 09:36 PM
Hi Robo,

Yes, I have the standard dial-up Xtra connection - which incidently is quite strong (52000bps)

Regards, ALAN ;-)

09-01-2002, 09:44 PM
I have a dial-up 56k connection and 'experts' say I don't need one. But as I use my connection for 150 hours/month I use one. I started with ZoneAlarm and that stopped and went funny after a year, so I put Black Ice in its place. After doing a re-format just before Christmas I had a very shaky connection and called up the Paradise help desk and they pinpointed it to my firewall. I tried re-configuring it but it got to the point of no value, allowing everything through. So I dumped it. It does give alerts and addresses of intended intruders so it does have merit.
I'm back to ZoneAlarm again but I reckon the best way is to be vigilant. Carry on updating your anti-virus definitions. I do mine twice a week. Don't open dodgy attachments. Scan stuff downloaded from the net. Use a Hotmail address when using newsgroups and any other sites your not certain of. If you've got kids, teach them well, like all the above including scanning floppies and CDs from friends.

09-01-2002, 11:56 PM
Persist Robo, persist.

If you are using the free version of Zone Alarm I don't think it allows full network access. ZA Pro identifies network connections on installation and everything is sweet from there on.

Life is a challenge and PCs are an even bigger challenge!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

10-01-2002, 12:03 AM
yeah I reckon you do need a firewall. Hackers dont just target the big corporations anymore but are quite often going for the private pc. Just look at the viruses that have been around lately....all targeted at passwords and user info. If they can get a trojan or similair into your system then all hell breaks loose. And your anti virus just doesnt really do the job when it comes to trojans. Just do a search on trojans and then read some of the info on the sites. I have chatted to a few who spend a lot of time hunting for new trojans on the net and they find them on a very regular basis. The Bastards then use this to do nasty stuff to other people and the trail stops cold at your puter. For the amount of effort required to install and run a firewall I cant see why people dont bother....its too late after its happened.

10-01-2002, 12:06 AM
...look down one post Alan

10-01-2002, 09:35 AM
I ran a trial version of a firewall for a while and found it wasn't worth the hastle. If some one want's to find out what's on my PC they are more than welcome. Nothing secret, don't have any financial stuff so I'm not convinced, but then I could be wrong.

10-01-2002, 10:32 AM
Personally, Ive been using ZA for years and it does what I want perfectly, you just have to configure it properly.

The personal edition does not automatically configure local networks however you can set this up under advanced options, you just have to specifically add your network address range into the local network, select the appropriate security setting and bobs your uncle.

10-01-2002, 11:21 AM
Yeah, it's the malicious damage that is the problem.

I don't mind if people find out I have Bee Gee songs on my hard drive, at least I can say they are for my wife.

robo.

10-01-2002, 03:41 PM
Hi again.... thanks for all the excellent advise. I have taken the bull by the horns, and downloaded ZoneAlarm. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks everyone ALAN ;-)

10-01-2002, 04:37 PM
Quote:

<i>Jury is still out for me. I have installed ZoneAlarm and reaction so far is that it is pretty wet, but seems to do more than BlackIce which just lay there.

It blocked my connection to the NT server on my network, and I couldn't stop it (kind of pissed me off but isn't a major).
</i>

Rob,

I am using ZA for on my laptop for use at office and home. What you need to do is run Zone Alarm, click Security, then Advance.

The add either an IP Range of all your PCs/Servers in office or just add the IP Addresses of your servers.

Best regards
Stan

10-01-2002, 08:12 PM
Tiny Personal Firewall is quite nice, it allows you to deny or permit just about anything. With ZA it says 'do you want to let IE access the internet' (or something similar), where as Tiny will say things like do you want to let IE connect to idg.net.nz, and do you want to let IE connect to ads.doublclick.com

JM

11-01-2002, 03:13 AM
'...Thursday January 3 2002

WASHINGTON (AP) - Computer hackers, once satisfied to test their skills on large companies, are turning their sights on home computers that are faster, more powerful and less secure than ever before.

Many home computers are now as powerful as business computers, with enough memory and processing power to make them alluring staging areas for wide-scale Internet attacks that affect other computers...'

Full Report at the following:

http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20020103/bs/hacking_home_computers_2.html

e_