PDA

View Full Version : ERROR in DIBENG.DLL

09-01-2002, 03:29 PM
Can anyone suggest why in the last few days I have been receiving and error ' ---- has caused an error in DIBENG.DLL. ---- will now close.'

I am using a IBM Thinkpad laptop with 64meg ram and running Windows ME.

The error is happening in several programs, such as Quicken, Netscape Communicator and my Epson Inkjet printer driver at the present time. I have the lastest McAfee antivirus DAT file install and have done a COMPLETE scan of all files on the harddisk with no virus reported. I have extracted a new copy of DIBENG.DLL from the cab file and replaced the file in the Windows/System directory, but still get the error.

Any answer would be appreciated.

09-01-2002, 04:16 PM
Hi John,

You might like to visit the address below for a fix to your problem

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q235618

10-01-2002, 11:33 PM
Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your comment and link to the MS site. I have looked at it and it is writen for a GENERAL PROTECTION Fault and suggests that the video drivers may not be compatible.

1. My laptop has been using the same video drivers ever since I have had it (approx 2 yrs) and never had this error until a few days ago. (The driver are NeoMagic - MagicGraph 128XD)

2. I tried the two suggestions made, i.e.(a) tried the standard Windows VGA drivers - YUK !!! 640x480 and ONLY 16 colours - can not live with that. (b) tried to locate a later driver (Mine is dated 31-10-1997) but cann't find a site.

3. Have reloaded the orginal drivers from floppies.

BUT I am still getting the error, which ONLY says ' 'program name' has caused an error in DIBENG.DLL ------ ' with NO mention of a general protection fault.

Do you or anyone else have any further suggestions. Tonight it happen aleast 4 times within a 30min period when using Netscape Mail OFF LINE (it also happens in other programs) but after these 4 errors has not happened again for the last 1 1/2 hrs including off and on line.

What is the file DIBENG.DLL for. It is obviously a Windows System file as it loads every time Windows ME is loaded.

Any help would be appreciated as it is xxxxxx annoying when it happens.

Regards,

John

14-01-2002, 11:31 PM
I think I have found the problem with this error.

I had recently download and installed the INCREDIMAIL email program. (Before the errors started)

One night, I got aleast four error messages in a 1/2hr period and for completely un-related reasons, I closed the Incrediamail Taskbar program. For the rest of the night (several hours) I HAD NO ERRORS.

Since then I have un-installed Incrediamail and quess what, NO MORE ERRORS IN DIBENG.DLL

Incredimail is a nice interface, sending nice email pages etc but it was not worth putting up with the errors.

Any one else had similar problems ?