PDA

View Full Version : intergrated graphics

09-01-2002, 12:33 PM
Could someone please explain to me about the difference between intergrated graphics and AGP cards. Can you have intergrated graphics and a AGP card. I'm also interested in how these share resources. Thanks
Pete

09-01-2002, 01:33 PM
Intergrated graphics cards are built into the motherboard.They generally share you systems memory and are a good idea for those on a budget or to whom graphics performance is not an issue ie Word processors etc

AdvanceGraphicsCards are an add in card that slot into your motherboard they range in pricing from as little as $30 thru to $1500+ and you get the speed and preformance you pay for....

An AGP card will normally always outpreform an intergrated one.

Having never tried running both together i would assume the performance whould step down to match the slower card

==Orac==

09-01-2002, 03:52 PM
A good board with intergrated graphics will have AGP intergrated and an AGP slot. A friend of mine has intergrated AGP graphics (Savage 3D) in the bios you adjust the amount of shared RAM. He has very fast RAM and is shareing 32MB.

The old rules no longer apply as to speed. Although I've never seen an intergrated gforce3 yet

09-01-2002, 04:39 PM
Avoid integrated graphics (and sound) if you want to play anything more advanced than Solitare etc.

Otherwise you will be paying a lot of money for performance you could get on a 2 year old system.

09-01-2002, 07:45 PM
http://www.dictionary.com/cgi-bin/dict.pl?term=integrated

10-01-2002, 10:52 AM
Really?

I play Quake 3 and Unreal tounament and lots of other 3D games with my intergrated AGP video.

The big killer is 'intergrated sound!!!!'. Which is actually nothing more than a codec chip telling the CPU how to process 32channel 44khz sound (see the problem?)

I more than doubled the performance of my PC by turning off the onboard sound and installing a SoundBlaster card :))

Onboard sound and video can always be turned off. Unless you have a machine so old it doesn't matter anyway.