PDA

View Full Version : Huge install DIR fix?

fnphoto
27-09-2017, 11:22 AM
My windows 10 120Gb SSD drive (C:) Has an installation folder c:/windows/installer which has become huge at 40.6 Gb. I have always understood these files to be undeleteable but not wanting to spend $ on a larger drive at this stage, I'm wondering if there is a safe way to regain some room. I have tried disk cleanup.

Speedy Gonzales
27-09-2017, 12:19 PM
Use ccleaner / do a custom install. See if it removes the junk files etc

wratterus
27-09-2017, 12:26 PM
As well as Ccleaner, try running JRT.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Did you choose to cleanup 'system files' when you ran disk cleanup, and made sure to select anything substantial?

27-09-2017, 01:34 PM
Its time to seriously consider a bigger HD.
Your lack of HD space will just become a never ending issue with one temp 'fix' after the other, freeing less and less space each time.

Some have suggested compressing that folder , havnt tried so dont know if its even do-able

dugimodo
27-09-2017, 02:47 PM
IF it's the only drive I agree with 1101, 120G is just too small by itself.
If you also have a data drive however it's entirely possible to avoid these issues, my windows installation < 45G and I've had windows 10 running on a 32G tablet (don't do that - seriously)

Cleaning up old system files, installers, junk etc should help. You can also move any large data files elsewhere and consider moving the swap file (again if you have a second drive)
Do you have a windows.old directory at all? that can be removed via windows cleanup - CCleaner etc as suggested above.

fnphoto
28-09-2017, 12:48 PM
IF it's the only drive I agree with 1101, 120G is just too small by itself.
If you also have a data drive however it's entirely possible to avoid these issues, my windows installation < 45G and I've had windows 10 running on a 32G tablet (don't do that - seriously)

Cleaning up old system files, installers, junk etc should help. You can also move any large data files elsewhere and consider moving the swap file (again if you have a second drive)
Do you have a windows.old directory at all? that can be removed via windows cleanup - CCleaner etc as suggested above.

Thanks all,
I had tried Ccleaner & JRT but no luck. However I did regain almost 8 Gb by turning off hyberfil.sys as I don't really need it but I'd still like to reduce the size of the install dir if I can safely.

linw
28-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Seems very strange that yours is 40GB. I have checked three here. Main comp 1.2GB/539 files with largest file 210MB, other two, around 650MB.

How is yours made so big. Large no. of files or several very large files?

linw
28-09-2017, 07:21 PM
PatchCleaner downloadable from Majorgeeks is supposed to fix these issues. You can choose to copy, rather than delete, for safety sake.