PDA

View Full Version : Help neede with Linux

mzee
19-09-2017, 11:30 PM
When you install software with Linux, if you are lucky the app/program shows up in the menu. If not, you have to hunt for it. You find hundreds of files scattered all over the drive. Problem is, how do you tell an executable file from the rest? In windows its simple in that most of the files are in the same folder, and the executable ones have an '.exe' or 'msi' extension.

Kame
20-09-2017, 06:26 AM
Executables have the executable bit/flag set on the file. They normally have no extension or end with a scripting language extension.

I would assume that if you are installing programs that you know what you are installing, not every program will have a menu entry, especially commands. You can override installation paths if you find it confusing. Struggling that, any package installation, you should be able to get path information from them.

Windows treats every file as an executable, even text files. That's because it sets the executable bit on all files. I think it also has a PATH_EXT environment set that gives a list of extensions of the majority of their actual executable files or commands. More than just exe or msi.

KarameaDave
20-09-2017, 09:27 AM
What software are you having problems finding?

mzee
20-09-2017, 11:29 AM
What software are you having problems finding?

The Linux is Mint 18.2, the app/prog is 'weechat', installed from the software manager, and appears to have installed correctly. The file that I think is the executable is 'weechat', no extension, and is in /usr/share/weechat/. I tried to change the permissions, and had to log in as 'root', I was then able to change it to executable, but when I tried to run it got 'this file is not associated with any known program' or words to that effect. The reviews are all excellent with no problems! I have tried it twice on two separate computers, but no change.

KarameaDave
20-09-2017, 11:53 AM
It is text based, so it runs from the terminal, as far as I can ascertain.

See here
https://weechat.org/files/doc/devel/weechat_quickstart.en.html

Kame
20-09-2017, 12:52 PM
I just installed weechat in a few seconds typed weechat in terminal and it ran.

which weechat gave me /usr/bin/weechat

You should never change ownership of files outside your control (your home).

KarameaDave
20-09-2017, 01:53 PM
I just installed weechat in a few seconds typed weechat in terminal and it ran.

which weechat gave me /usr/bin/weechat

You should never change ownership of files outside your control (your home).

Easy to install, runs in terminal, may not suit OP.