PDA

View Full Version : Home PC help Mission Bay?

stuffed
19-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Anyone can suggest who can help an elderly relation who lives in Mission Bay?
Need GMail set up on his home PC (have all the account details).
Have tried to contact some computer people around the area but no replies!
It's got to be hands on rather than by remote.
Just that I live away away down south.
Many thanks

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2017, 03:31 PM
Could have done it with teamviewer, but since you said remote guess not.

CYaBro
19-09-2017, 04:12 PM
Yea why does it need to be hands on?
Something like that is easily done by remote support, using Teamviewer or whatever.

stuffed
19-09-2017, 05:30 PM
For a person who was born in 1927 technology is a challenge and to start and ask him to register and download TeamViewer or whatever is a mountain to climb they don't need, hence why looking for someone.

19-09-2017, 05:44 PM
For a person who was born in 1927 technology is a challenge and to start and ask him to register and download TeamViewer or whatever is a mountain to climb they don't need, hence why looking for someone.

it can be a VERY painfull experience,on both sides of the phone, trying to get non PC savvy users to download & run TeamVeiwer quicksupport
that alone can be a 20 minute nightmare, only to then find they allready have TV installed & a blue TV shortcut was on the desktop all along, despite asking them
several times if a blue TV icon was on the desktop
:badpc:
:badpc:

pctek
19-09-2017, 06:07 PM
If it was Waitakere I would, but Mission bay? Not so keen on the driving far in Akld these days....

Someone over that way?

wainuitech
19-09-2017, 06:51 PM
You dont need Teamviewer if she has Windows 10.

NO downloads required.

All you do (over the phone) Tell her to click on the search, (icon next to the start button-- or press the windows + S key), type in QUICK - Select Quick Support. She Clicks on "Get Assistance" - A box opens.

YOU do the same but click on "Give Support", YOU need to sign in with a MS account, (she doesn't) that then generates a 6 digit number - you tell the person the number over the phone, they type it in, click "Summit".

Wait a few moments, A message will show on her end saying you are trying to connect - She Clicks ALLOW - few seconds later Desktop of person appears- Tell them to sit back Touch nothing.

Heres how in two videos, the first part and most of the second. (this PC is always logged in so no prompt to show)

It fails on the Summit becasue It cant connect to its self. Normally it would connect, say XXX is trying to connect - allow.

Give Assistance (https://www.screencast.com/t/gzP1soqxrL) & Get Assistance (https://www.screencast.com/t/im3v0El5DgP)

wainuitech
19-09-2017, 07:03 PM
Adding to above - the 10 minute timer you see a countdown to how long the person has to enter the code and accept, after that it times out and a new code given. Once it disconnects the code is dead, so further connections require a new generated code.

Typo above should be Give Assistance, not Give support. AND 2nd - Quick Assist, not quick Support -- Rushing b4 timer ran out here-- My Bad :p

CYaBro
19-09-2017, 07:04 PM
You dont need Teamviewer if she has Windows 10.

NO downloads required.

All you do (over the phone) Tell her to click on the search, (icon next to the start button-- or press the windows + S key), type in QUICK - Select Quick Support. She Clicks on "Get Assistance" - A box opens.

YOU do the same but click on "Give Support", YOU need to sign in with a MS account, (she doesn't) that then generates a 6 digit number - you tell the person the number over the phone, they type it in, click "Summit".

Wait a few moments, A message will show on her end saying you are trying to connect - She Clicks ALLOW - few seconds later Desktop of person appears- Tell them to sit back Touch nothing.

Heres how in two videos, the first part and most of the second. (this PC is always logged in so no prompt to show)

It fails on the Summit becasue It cant connect to its self. Normally it would connect, say XXX is trying to connect - allow.

Give Assistance (https://www.screencast.com/t/gzP1soqxrL) & Get Assistance (https://www.screencast.com/t/im3v0El5DgP)

Might be the Quick Assist app now, so all done in there.

wainuitech
19-09-2017, 07:53 PM
Its a LOT easier than trying to talk someone through downloading TV. The only Time I use TV these days is if a person doesn't have W10, or a permanent remote connection is required that can be accessed when someones not there ( Maintainence outside of hours work)

WalOne
19-09-2017, 08:00 PM
If it was Waitakere I would, but Mission bay? Not so keen on the driving far in Akld these days....

Someone over that way?

Ellerslie's a bit closer so I'll put my hand up, it's my turn to help out - as long as it's only a simple Gmail install and basic how-to-use TeamViewer, so stuffed can help the rellie. And it would need to be this Friday as I'm looking after some friends' pooch up at Waiake a lot of the time for the next month.

PM me with your phone number if you wish. :)

stuffed
20-09-2017, 10:20 AM
Ellerslie's a bit closer so I'll put my hand up, it's my turn to help out - as long as it's only a simple Gmail install and basic how-to-use TeamViewer, so stuffed can help the rellie. And it would need to be this Friday as I'm looking after some friends' pooch up at Waiake a lot of the time for the next month.

PM me with your phone number if you wish. :)
Hey thanks heaps but have now just got hold of a computer outfit. If it turns to custard will get back to you. Really appreciate how you guys respond.

WalOne
20-09-2017, 12:11 PM
Hey thanks heaps but have now just got hold of a computer outfit. If it turns to custard will get back to you. Really appreciate how you guys respond.

:thumbs:

stuffed
20-09-2017, 04:18 PM
Grrrr not one PC repairer has got back to me!
I did PM and email you but could have stuffed it up!
Thanks