PDA

View Full Version : What do I need for email domain name?

Nomad
09-09-2017, 05:33 PM
After paying $15-25 for the domain name, it has email forwarding. I would be using a web service like Gmail to administer it. Is there anything else I need?

I would like a few email addresses like 3-5.

Hopefully when the emails are forwarded to Gmail, I won't need that much storage.

Cheers.

wainuitech
09-09-2017, 06:38 PM
After paying $15-25 for the domain name, it has email forwarding. I would be using a web service like Gmail to administer it. Is there anything else I need?

I would like a few email addresses like 3-5.

Hopefully when the emails are forwarded to Gmail, I won't need that much storage.

Cheers. Once you have a domain name, somewhere in the hosts setting there will be the option to setup email accounts, they are all different as the hosts don't all use the same interface.

Example: my domain is hosted with Webdrive - when I login and click on the email ( on the left) there's options to manage emails, New, Remove, Alter etc.

mzee
09-09-2017, 07:16 PM
You can have your Domain hosted for Email only then:-
1] You can use the Host's web-mail service.
2] You can set up a client program (Thunderbird, Forte-Agent, Sea Monkey, Opera etc)
3] Have it diverted to Gmail (the Domain addresses will be retained)

Nomad
09-09-2017, 07:19 PM
Ok, thanks I might have left out the hosting part after buying the domain name. Not all of them provide email hosting or they do with extra fees attached.

Edit. If they provide free email forwarding I still need email hosting right?

mzee
09-09-2017, 07:30 PM
Ok, thanks I might have left out the hosting part after buying the domain name. Not all of them provide email hosting or they do with extra fees attached.

Edit. If they provide free email forwarding I still need email hosting right?

They will charge you for hosting the Domain for email only, which is at a smaller rate than website hosting. If they are hosting a website you will be allowed many email accounts.

CYaBro
10-09-2017, 12:13 AM
If you want your domain email on gmail you'll need to pay for google g suite, which starts at us$5 per month per email account.
You could also look at the free Zoho mail, which I use and seems to work well.
You do only get 5gb of email storage though, on their free account, per email address.

pctek
10-09-2017, 08:00 AM
I have a domain name, had it for years, I amend the MX record at the domain hosters to point to Google.
Then the email is setup via gmail.

Costs me nothing, that may not be the case now, dunno, but it didn't when I did it and it doesn't now.

Should be instructions on changing MX records for your email on the domain help pages, you don't need the domain companies email services....

mzee
10-09-2017, 12:47 PM
If you want your domain email on gmail you'll need to pay for google g suite, which starts at us$5 per month per email account.
You could also look at the free Zoho mail, which I use and seems to work well.
You do only get 5gb of email storage though, on their free account, per email address.

Not so. If you use the Chrome Browser you can open a gmail account free, and include your Domain mail in the settings. I have 3 Domains on Gmail, doesn't cost anything.

CYaBro
10-09-2017, 01:26 PM
Not so. If you use the Chrome Browser you can open a gmail account free, and include your Domain mail in the settings. I have 3 Domains on Gmail, doesn't cost anything.
I know they used to offer domain email hosting for free but not anymore.
You might be able to use your own domain email for a google account but you won't receive email to it on gmail.

Nomad
10-09-2017, 04:13 PM
Ok .... so you can't use your own gmail and get it to check your own domain email too?

I have a gmail account but also use it to check my clear.net that works. Is this different?

CYaBro
10-09-2017, 05:09 PM
Ok .... so you can't use your own gmail and get it to check your own domain email too?

I have a gmail account but also use it to check my clear.net that works. Is this different?

Yea you can do that, get a free gmail account to grab mail from another account.
But the email that it's grabbing has to be hosted somewhere.

Nomad
10-09-2017, 05:31 PM
Yea you can do that, get a free gmail account to grab mail from another account.
But the email that it's grabbing has to be hosted somewhere.

Yes Zohomail is one free option. Then I use Gmail or Outlook.com. This will allow me the more GBs right?

11-09-2017, 11:35 AM
re forwarding to gmail etc

you will receive it as @your.shiney.new.domain
but will it send/reply as @your.shiney.new.domain ?
ie , will replies be seen as from @gmail , or seen as coming from gmail servers : & then risk the recipient not recognizing that @gmail reply & deleting it.

If going to the trouble of making a email domain name, for business purposes, do it properly : hosted exchange isnt expensive .

mzee
11-09-2017, 12:20 PM
re forwarding to gmail etc

you will receive it as @your.shiney.new.domain
but will it send/reply as @your.shiney.new.domain ?
ie , will replies be seen as from @gmail , or seen as coming from gmail servers : & then risk the recipient not recognizing that @gmail reply & deleting it.

If going to the trouble of making a email domain name, for business purposes, do it properly : hosted exchange isnt expensive .

When you reply to a Domain email in Gmail, the return address is that of your Domain. The receiver has no clue that it has actually come from Gmail.
eg: one of my addresses is kenyapag@kenyapages.net.nz, when I receive the email through Gmail, my address is in the TO: field, when I reply it is in the FROM: field. No mention is made of Gmail.

CYaBro
11-09-2017, 05:46 PM
When you reply to a Domain email in Gmail, the return address is that of your Domain. The receiver has no clue that it has actually come from Gmail.
eg: one of my addresses is kenyapag@kenyapages.net.nz, when I receive the email through Gmail, my address is in the TO: field, when I reply it is in the FROM: field. No mention is made of Gmail.

Yea but your own domain name emails are still being hosted somewhere, and just being forwarded to your gmail account, or gmail is picking them up for you.
You might want to check because emails you send using your own domain name may in fact be showing as something like: blahblah@gmail.com on behalf of kenyapag@kenyapages..... - I think it depends on where you send the email to.