PDA

View Full Version : Will my PC work in the UK?

08-01-2002, 10:20 PM
I am thinking of moving and want to take my PC with me. Does anyone know if they operate on the same type of power supply as us?

08-01-2002, 10:31 PM
Chances are it will crash there as much as here ;-)

But seriously, they are 230 volt but you'll need a new power cord. No problemo. Get it when you get there.

robo.

08-01-2002, 10:47 PM
Chris

Ditto Robo's comments, but you may have colour problems on your monitor in the UK, especially if you are going to the northern regions.

CRTs are made for either northern or southern hemisphere use and sometimes don't like working upside down (I am not joking, when people brought out colout TVs from England in the 70's & 80's we sometimes had a devil of job to get the colour purity right).

Fortunately there is an easy way to check this, just invert your monitor (stand it on its top)and operate the manual degauss. You may need to degauss several times to get it right but if the screen ends up free of stray colour tints in the corners and a white screen looks white then it will be OK in the UK.

You will notice that the image will shift a little off centre when it is upside down but this will be well within the adjustment range of the horizontal centering control.

If it is no good upside down sell it here and buy a replacement when you get to the UK.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

09-01-2002, 12:04 AM
The other thing you have to watch out for is that Britain is still using the Imperial system whereas we of course are metric - so you might not get as much displaying on your screen in inches as you would in centimetres.

09-01-2002, 01:12 AM
If you get a REALLY long extension cord, you shouldn't have a problem.

09-01-2002, 07:49 AM
like it.

09-01-2002, 09:13 AM
And of course, there will be far more whingers, whinging about MS