PDA

View Full Version : Crashs at Boot Up?

08-01-2002, 08:56 PM
Help lease!
My computer is experiencing a bout of crashs during boot up.
Just as the Desk top is about to show, a thin striped green line runs across the top of the monitor & it freezes on me, although sometimes it will just try to reboot again.
I am running Win98SE, AZ11 Mobo, Duron 800, GForce 2 Mx Video card, Genius 5.1 Sound Card.I have re-installed video & sound drivers, updated 4 in 1 Mobo drivers, reformatted the harddrive & re-installed Win 98Se all to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas?

08-01-2002, 09:36 PM
Run MSCONFIG from the run... option on the first start menu. Disable stuff in your startup.

Easier but less scientific, hold down shift key on bootup to avoid startup programs (or is it control? I forget).

Or start in safe mode.

Whatever you do, remove fastfind and fastart from startup. And that stupid shortcut bar.

Just some thoughts to start with.

robo.

08-01-2002, 09:52 PM
It may be the refresh rate for your monitor is set out of the monitors range at the resolution you run? Try lowering it to see if it helps.

08-01-2002, 10:14 PM
Thanks Robo,
I had a look at the MSCONFIG start up menu & saw a lot of things I didn't really know anything about. I did disable Zone Alarm & Cookie Crusher at start up as well as Q3D control panel for the sound card options. Their was also 2 entries for Load Power profile which were identical, so I disabled one of them. I will run for a day ot two & see what happens.Whats the minimum that should be enabled at start up?
Thanks
Andy