PDA

View Full Version : Windows 95 won'tload error

sherrylynn
25-08-2017, 07:13 PM
I have a computer with Windows 95 software on it that I bought about 3 years ago. My son uses it to play games on and it was running out of space, so I deleted antivirus software, grisoft or something like that through the remove/install in the control panel. When the computer was restarted I get the following:

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C:/progra~1/Grisoft/AVG6/AVGcore.vxd. Press any key to continue

When I press continue it just repeat the above line or just shuts off.

I do not have a disk for this grisoft software. It was already installed when I got the computer and I don't know much about computers. I would just forget it except for the fact that my son has Autism and he is going wild because his computer will not work. I have tried to explain to him what happened, but he does not understand. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank You!

wainuitech
25-08-2017, 09:30 PM
What you can try is when you start the computer hold down the shift Key while its starting. This should stop any programs from running in the background. The "grisoft software" is AVG antivirus. There are entries in the startup options that have not uninstalled. The error is because the OS is trying to run a program that doesn't exist anymore.

If that shift works then come back and some instructions can be given on how to remove. win95 is completely different to more modern OS's in removing entries. it can be done/fixed by editing the registry, but HAS to be done correctly, do it wrong and the Whole computer can be made worse. Normally you can simply alter teh startups in msconfig -- BUT win95 doesn't have it, that only came in w98 onwards.

pctek
26-08-2017, 08:34 AM
I have a computer with Windows 95 . My son uses it to play games on and it was running out of space, so I deleted antivirus software computer will not work. I have tried to explain to him what happened, but he does not understand. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me.

AVG is a free antivirus.
I would not have removed that to free up space.

Remove something else - or put a bigger hard drive in it.

sherrylynn
26-08-2017, 11:40 AM
I have a computer with Windows 95 software on it that I bought about 3 years ago. My son uses it to play games on and it was running out of space, so I deleted antivirus software, grisoft or something like that through the remove/install in the control panel. When the computer was restarted I get the following:

The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose try uninstalling the associated application using its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file.
C:/progra~1/Grisoft/AVG6/AVGcore.vxd. Press any key to continue

When I press continue it just repeat the above line or just shuts off.

I do not have a disk for this grisoft software. It was already installed when I got the computer and I don't know much about computers. I would just forget it except for the fact that my son has Autism and he is going wild because his computer will not work. I have tried to explain to him what happened, but he does not understand. I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thank You!

When I held down shift it booted to Win95 Safe Mode

sherrylynn
26-08-2017, 11:41 AM
When I hold down shift it booted to Win95 Safe Mode.

wainuitech
26-08-2017, 04:06 PM
Starting in safe mode is OK, in fact it may even be better.

Since w95 doesn't have the same options as W98 onward you can do this the hard way.

BUT be very careful, follow these instructions exactly. if not 100% sure then STOP and get someone who is happy to edit the registry.

Press the Windows + r Key, you should get a run box open. type in regedit (may also be regedit.exe). Press the enter key. you should get something like this: ( NOTE this is a Windows 10 but yours should be similar)

What you got to do is expand out the trees by clicking the > to get to the run entries. You need to look at the following paths:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\RunOnce

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\RunOnce

Example of part of the first path expanded (to Microsoft)

When you get to the last folder(run), on the RIGHT look for any entry that says grisoft or AVG. One you should look for is the one you posted previously - C:/progra~1/Grisoft/AVG6/AVGcore

If they are there, click to highlight and delete.

WARNING: ONLY delete the AVG entries, NOTHING ELSE - if no entry back out and look in the other locations,.

DONT remove anything else -- If you don't feel confident to do this, then DONT !!! You are altering the backbone of the OS and may cause more damage.

Note: if the entry is in the run folder, once deleted try rebooting, that may be enough, other wise repeat and try the other folders as well.