PDA

View Full Version : resetting an old XP computer

pct
18-08-2017, 09:09 PM
Hey
I'm reinstalling an old XP computer using the discs that came with it...
It's at the partitions stage .. to select where to install it.

The options
-: Partition 1 [FAT] 39MB (31 MB free)
C: Partition 2 [NTFS] 38107MB (35209 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8MB

When I go for partition 2, it says installing multiple OS on a single partition is not recommended ?? As I want to write over the OS on it , how do I do this please?
Thanks

wainuitech
18-08-2017, 09:46 PM
When you mention "resetting" Do you mean reinstalling or repair install --Two totally different things. ??

If they are real recovery Disc's (like you would get from HP) you would be better to completely wipe the drive clean of all partitions, as a real recovery CD/DVD will create new partitions and install the OS, drivers etc.

Keep in mind, you will have problems if you want to do any updates.

Bryan
18-08-2017, 09:57 PM
MS no longer support XP. You might be in for a lot of fun. Can you backup your present installation to an external HDD first just in case you get to a situation where it all turns to custard?

pct
18-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Hey wainuitech... Sorry, I'm wanting to do a clean install..reinstall windows...It's an old Dell 2200- they are the original Dell recovery discs.

OK so should I delete those 3 partitions in the XP setup screen - then "create a partition in the unpartitioned space"?

pct
18-08-2017, 10:07 PM
I don't intend to have it connect to the internet - does that make it less likely to cause any problems ??

pctek
19-08-2017, 06:59 AM
MS no longer support XP.

So what? He won't be bothered by updates.
So long as it has some kind of protection and a large dose of common sense by the user, it will be fine.

Getting something to work now on an old O/S is more the issue.

You can have 2 partitions, just make sure both are empty then install Windows on the smaller.

wainuitech
19-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Hey wainuitech... Sorry, I'm wanting to do a clean install..reinstall windows...It's an old Dell 2200- they are the original Dell recovery discs.

OK so should I delete those 3 partitions in the XP setup screen - then "create a partition in the unpartitioned space"? Its been a long time since I have used Dell recovery Disc's. But from memory most of them will create new partitions if the drive is blank, you don't need to make them yourself. You can reinstall back into the current partitions, but Personally I wouldn't do it that way.

When reinstalling anything I always delete all partitions and start with a blank drive, Usually no problems then, and cleans out any rubbish/ problems / previous settings.

Driftwood
19-08-2017, 11:41 AM
I think if I had to do it I would download an ISO which includes the service packs.

Poppa John
20-08-2017, 11:38 AM
I still think that XP was the best OS that MS ever produced. To me It was less complicated than any that followed. . PJ

21-08-2017, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE=pct;1264161]

The options
-: Partition 1 [FAT] 39MB (31 MB free)
C: Partition 2 [NTFS] 38107MB (35209 MB free)
/QUOTE]

that 39M partition is probably a recovery partition
see if you can do a factory restore/recovery on it, thats often a lot easier . You'll need to google how to get the Dell recovery started for your
PC, or if you have the original Dell CD's, use those

otherwise, allways del all the old partitions & start with a clean HD.

pct
21-08-2017, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys
Would you know a safe site I could download USB-serial controller D software from for Windows XP SP2 ??

21-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Thanks guys
Would you know a safe site I could download USB-serial controller D software from for Windows XP SP2 ??

From the original manufacturer, or the chip's manufacturer
The software/driver has to match the hardware . I dont think there will be some generic site with working software

Most driver sites are bogus , but they can give an idea of what to search for

install XP SP3 first. Then Windows Updates (yes , some still available)
Check the Dell site for drv upadtes