PDA

View Full Version : Missing MBR helper?

mzee
08-08-2017, 11:26 PM
I have just bought a Dell Vostro 1015 laptop, identical to one I already have. To save time I formatted the drive, then installed a system backup of W10 Pro made with OAMEI Backupper. When I tried to boot W10 I got an error "missing MBR helper". I know this backup works as I used it recently. I tried the repair command on a W10 disk, but it couldn't fix it. In the end I clean installed and all is normal.

What is an MBR helper?

The backup image included a Grub4Dos boot loader as the donor Dell has Fat Dog 64 Linux on an ext4 partition.

Any ideas will be appreciated :confused:

09-08-2017, 10:23 AM
The backup image included a Grub4Dos boot loader as the donor Dell has Fat Dog 64 Linux on an ext4 partition.

Thats probably the issue: dual boot . Possibly the imaging software cant cope with dual boot systems & lin bootloaders

OAMEI Backupper
"What does Standard version support?
Supported Operating Systems
Windows 10/8.1/8/7/XP/Vista " .
ie NOT linux

Try a linux based imaging software instead(one that runs off bootable CD/usb) & make a new system image
Also , make sure the HD bios settings ALL are the same on both PC's

KarameaDave
09-08-2017, 10:37 AM
Clonezilla, it works well.

dugimodo
09-08-2017, 10:44 AM
Is it a disk image or just a partition image? perhaps it missed the hidden system partition where windows hides some boot files, it'll still work if the disk already has that but won't boot without it.
Depends how the backup software works, a full disk image can work regardless of OS if it's a bit for bit copy but that's the slowest method and not usually the default.

09-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Some imaging software really cant cope with non standard partitions & non standard boot loaders
Even some new Win laptops that have (crazy) 6 partitions from new can cause havoc on some imaging software (fails)

The most reliable way to get backup images is via a bootable CD. NOT via running the program from within Win itself (issues with locked files ,& VSS issues could cause some failures)
And get software that is designed to work with Linux partitions & dual boots . Not OAMEI .

dugimodo
09-08-2017, 11:15 AM
I have a method that works very well for identical disks - a dual drive usb caddy with a clone button. It just does an exact copy disk to disk without needing a connected PC.
Slow but easy, but not something I find a use for very often.

mzee
09-08-2017, 06:39 PM
I think you are all correct. The image is missing the Linux loader etc. Cloning is probably the way to go. Active Image @ may be better.

mzee
10-08-2017, 12:51 PM
Problem solved.. The MBR Helper is what the Linux Grub4Dos loader is called. The Windows boot manager has diverted to Grub4Dos which was missing owing to the Backupper not coping with Linux code. All I had to do was reinstall Grub4Dos.