PDA

View Full Version : Is Hotspot Shield Useful

Neil F
08-08-2017, 07:40 PM
On File hippo.com this program periodically gets shown. It purports to offer greater privacy re browsing etc.
Has any member used it and if so do you think it is worthwhile downloading and installing it?
Comments appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
08-08-2017, 10:00 PM
You may want to read this (https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/08/07/hotspot_shield_deceives_with_false_privacy_promise s_complaint_claims/) and this (https://www.cnet.com/news/hotspot-shield-vpn-privacy-accusation/)

lakewoodlady
08-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Ur, no, file hippo is not a good place to download anything from. I'd not recommend it at all. Hotspot Shield sounds like something a bit weird to me. What OS do you want to put it on?

LL

09-08-2017, 10:29 AM
Just more snake oil ?

In general, dont go installing stuff onto your PC unless you have a real need for it .

Privacy, on the internet . :punk
Turn the PC off if you really are concerned about privacy. And burn your mobile phone , thats the 1st place to start, your ph.

Neil F
09-08-2017, 10:42 AM
Thanks to you all for your comments and guidance.. I shall not bother with Hotspot.I use Win 10 64 Bit anniversary Update version.
I was intrigued at the investigation into the firm -thanks Speedy. I am rather security "paranoid"
lakewoodlady we all have our own experiences but to date -many years- I overall have not had any bad results getting programmes and updates from Filehippo. Some of the other sites e.g when I update Glary Utilities tell me there are updates available for various other programmes but I when I check those versions are already installed. My only regret re Filehippo is that they have not for some years updated their File Manager checking programme so each day I do a manual check for latest updates.
Regards

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2017, 10:46 AM
Filehippo was ok. But I read (a while go now), that they were going to do what Download.com and Cnet did. Inject crap / malware into their installers