PDA

View Full Version : Facebook question

Tony
08-08-2017, 02:46 PM
I am a total Facebook avoider, so I wasn't able to help my neighbour with this one. She has changed email address and wants to use the new one to log in to her Facebook account, which currently expects the old address. How does she do this? I had a bit of a look at settings but I couldn't see anything obvious.

TIA

Marnie
08-08-2017, 05:26 PM
Get her to try this:

https://www.facebook.com/help/132243923516844?helpref=related

Hope it helps

Tony
08-08-2017, 05:51 PM
Thanks. I'll pass that on. I may have mis-stated the problem slightly. The issue is not that she can't sign in, it is just that she has to use her old email address - which she no longer uses and is (I think) now invalid. So effectively what she wants to do is change her login id. Will your link help her with that?

linw
08-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Settings/General

General Account Settings enables a lot of edits incl email.

At your own risk!!! Note down username first!

Marnie
08-08-2017, 08:35 PM
Thanks. I'll pass that on. I may have mis-stated the problem slightly. The issue is not that she can't sign in, it is just that she has to use her old email address - which she no longer uses and is (I think) now invalid. So effectively what she wants to do is change her login id. Will your link help her with that?

Tony, my understanding is that her old email address is that which is held on facebook's servers, regardless of it being one she no longer uses. She could still sign in via the old address then go to her settings and enter another (her new email address). It will show Primary, click on edit and add the one she wishes to use. Tell her not to delete her old email address from facebook until she has the new one in place and has clicked save changes. It should show both addresses. Then she should be able to delete her old one.

Tony
08-08-2017, 09:46 PM
I've sent her a link to this thread so she can try the things mentioned.

Thanks for the responses.