PDA

View Full Version : Obnoxious advertising - how to get rid of this one!

Misty
07-08-2017, 06:21 PM
Wherever I go on the web - in the morning mostly newspapers, NZ Herald, BBC News, The Guardian, The Independent, Washington Post, I get the same consistent, exceedingly aggravating ads from "My Republic". Now ordinarily, I can identify a particular add as not appropriate, offensive, have seen before, etc, etc --- but not this. However for the last month I consistently get adds from "My Republic". These are of two types, being adds inserted between the articles and also adds at the bottom of the screen. I have got to the stage that I would not buy their product if it were the last one on earth. They are despicable ..,,,, worse than cockroaches, which would survive a nuclear holocaust --- then they would still get me, although thankfully I would have taken the "blue" pill by then! :mad: :mad: :mad:

wratterus
07-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Install an ad blocker addon for your web browser?

Misty
07-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Oops, wratterus, I meant to say that I am talking about a cellphone. Realised that along the way but failed to go back and edit to show that. Can one get an ad-blocker for a cellphone??

gary67
07-08-2017, 07:34 PM
I use Ublock origin for Firefox for both laptop and cellphone, however if you are using the newspapers own apps then no you can't

08-08-2017, 10:04 AM
..... I have got to the stage that I would not buy their product if it were the last one on earth. They are despicable ..,,,, worse than cockroaches,

and yet you still go to the websites that put these ads onto their webpages
a bit of a double standard

if you really feel so strongly about those ads ,then simply dont go to the websites that put these ads into their pages .

And dont install phone install apps that have inline or popup adverts. That would be many of them, incl youtube.

Misty
08-08-2017, 05:36 PM
Ah, 1101, I don't mind ads as such, however I do object to seeing the same thing everywhere I go, day after day. There should be some limit somewhere that says that you cannot be followed round the world by a NZ Company, seeing the same thing time after time.
They are far, far worse and in your face than "Wet n' Forget, who sell their product at a huge premium to get you to pay for their advertising.

Presumably these overseas newspapers in the UK and the States, rent out the space in their online publication that would normally have a British advert. Thus, when I go to the website, they identify me as from New Zealand and give me a paid for NZ ad rather than an ad for say, Marks & Spenser. I presume that is the way it works. Having said that if I did "private" surfing, then presumably the website would not pick up that I am from NZ. Mmm! - must give it a try!

08-08-2017, 05:46 PM
Ah, 1101, I don't mind ads as such, however I do object to seeing the same thing everywhere I go, day after day.

some of the ads are much worse than all this :badpc:
Its been know for ads to link to sites that actually infected PC's , and legit sites often have ads for less than legit products: ie the ads are for products
that really are just a scam.

Just install one of the many add blockers. It really does make websites alot more usuable, and the websites load faster :)
I know geekzone had ads that would creep up to take 1/4 of the screen .

gary67
08-08-2017, 05:58 PM
Ublock is available for most browsers and works great