PDA

View Full Version : VPN and Spark HG659b

Geek4414
01-08-2017, 12:05 AM
There is a VPN option on the HG659b, but I assume that's to connect the modem to an external VPN and not to make the modem a VPN server?

Trying to set up an Austor AS-604T NAS drive as a VPN Server, downloaded the VPN server app and turned on PPTP and L2TP/IPSEC. There doesn't seem to be any other config that I can do on the AS-604T. So starting setting up Application/Port Forwarding on the Spark HG659b modem.

According to this list, I need to forward port 500 for L2TP

But it won't let me setup custom port 500 and L2TP is not available in the default application list ...

I have VNC working both on the LAN as well as from the internet with port forwarding on the HG659b, so I know the port forwarding is working.

I setup the PPTP and IPSEC using the default app list and I can't connect by PPTP either. The phone VPN connection does not tell me what went wrong, just said unsuccessful.

Is it possible to access a VPN server behind the HG659b modem or should I give up?

01-08-2017, 09:52 AM
ISP supplied routers are often awefull for trying to setup port forwarding....some ports will not forward properly no matter what you do
even DMZ doesnt work properly in some ISP supplied routers

The VPN option on your router will be to setup the router as a VPN ~server~

If you want to use the NAS's built in VPN option, you need to open the ports required (check the instructions) , and will require some sort of VPN client to access it
when offsite. There should be plenty of 'how to's' for that NAS with a walkthrough.

Make sure your NAS is allways up to date with the latest firmware when opening up ports & allowing external connections to the NAS. It will become a target for hackers .