PDA

View Full Version : upgrade from vista to what?

theother1
20-07-2017, 07:55 PM
I have an Asus N20A notebook which is running vista 32bit and due to loss of support has finally become intolerable.
I don't want to ditch the computer so can someone please recommend a viable alternative.
Approx 300GB HD Intel 2.40Ghz processor 4GB RAM.
Cheers in advance.

pcuser42
20-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Windows 10. :thumbs:

gary67
20-07-2017, 08:35 PM
Linux Mint or Ubuntu maybe or a real lightweight one would be puppy

theother1
20-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Cheers PCUser42, I am concerned about retaining the data I currently have in the computer. Also whether my proicessor is fast enough to run Win10. Thoughts

theother1
20-07-2017, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the suggestions Gary. Maybe these open source platforms might require more tech input than I am capable of. What do you think?

dugimodo
20-07-2017, 09:00 PM
Depends a little on what you do with it. If you want to go the Linux route the beauty of it is you can download multiple free ones and just try them from a live usb drive without installing to see what you like.

Windows 10 is actually pretty smooth on that generation hardware, I've run it on a celeron 1.9 Ghz dual core from about 2008 no problem.
Linux Mint is free and fairly easy to get into - the XFCE version is a little lighter on resources if that matters. Probably the best all round Linux for beginners.
Fedora also free, looks really nice and is better for Video playback but uses gnome which seems to use a lot of RAM and hardware support is not as good
Ubuntu is another free Linux and pretty popular, I don't like unity myself though.

I think the new graphics system Fedora is using will find it's way into the next release of a few other versions of Linux and I look forward to it, scrolling and video playback seems much nicer to me but overall I find Fedora less usable. I've installed it on an old PC for a friend to use as a budget smart TV device.

dugimodo
20-07-2017, 09:16 PM
Here's the quick and dirty on how to try Linux and see what you think

Download the ISO from here https://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=242 torrent option is best if you have a torrent program.
Or choose a different version from here https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php I suggest 64 bit XFCE personally

Download Rufus from here https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/rufus-portable

Put a spare USB drive in one of you PCs ports
Run Rufus, select the USB drive in device, Click the little icon next to where it says FreeDos, select the ISO file you downloaded, click start and go with whatever it might suggest.

You end up with a bootable USB drive with a live version on linux you can run from the drive to try out and install to a hard drive if you like. Rufus works with most versions of Linux ISOs and will also happily make a bootable windows drive from a windows Vista or newer ISO (7, 8, 10, etc). To use the newly created usb drive your PC needs to be set to boot from USB first in the BIOS or on some machines you can choose a boot menu with a key on startup.

Nothing to lose except a couple Gbs of download and plenty of Linux versions out there to play with. The drive also makes a handy emergency tool for retrieving files from a corrupted widows machine.

theother1
20-07-2017, 09:46 PM
Thanks Dugimodo, I will check that out as I really don't want to donate to Uncle Bills charities at this time, although I do like the sound of win10.
watch this space!

Rod J
21-07-2017, 01:47 AM
I'd agree with what Dugimodo said.

I have an ancient laptop running Linux Mint XFCE and it runs just fine even though it's only a 32 bit CPU and 2Gb memory. Your laptop CPU is 64 bit so it should have no problem running a 64 bit version of Linux.

You'll find plenty of support here or on the Linux Mint forums (https://forums.linuxmint.com/) if you need it. Linux is community supported and most of us are quite prepared to help where we can. Linux Mint is the easiest distro of Linux for newbies to use.

Greg
21-07-2017, 03:07 AM
Hmm. Why not just go Windows 8.1. So simple. Linux is way too comlpicated for a newbie.

21-07-2017, 10:51 AM
If you want a newer version of Win, you'll need to BUY Win10. Unless you want some dodgy used or pirated product.
You cant get Win8.1 anymore , Win7 is getting hard to find.
Pretty sure Win10 will need to be a clean install , as it wont upgrade from Vista .

You dont need alot of grunt for 10, but a fast SSD & 4M Ram certainly helps alot.
Your vista PC has a real value of almost nothing,I wouldnt spend money on it.

Why not get a ex-lease PC that has Win7 pre-installed . You can u/g that to Win10 for free . Ex lease/used Win7 are really cheap

theother1
21-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Thanks all, Some great suggestions here. I wondered about a pre 10 version of windows but sounds like I would need to go that way if I went with windows.
Not a complete newbie, Greg. so I will download linux mint and have a play with that.
Good to know that there are a few of the old names still dispensing good advice.
Cheers
Rob

dugimodo
21-07-2017, 12:56 PM
I second the ex-lease suggestion. I just recently got one of these http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/desktops/no-monitor/auction-1371675764.htm for about $180 shipped (the link is a new auction of the same item from the same seller).
It'll blow the doors off any vista era laptop and cost $20 more than a copy of windows. Of course you'd need a screen and keyboard and it's not portable - so maybe not the most convenient solution for every situation. Also not very up-gradable and won't play games - but otherwise awesome.