PDA

View Full Version : Softwares

08-01-2002, 10:27 AM
My friend brought his computer with a lot of softwares pre installed. Two of them was windows98se and photoshop 5.5. Just recently he found 2 folders in his hard disk; one named win98 and one named Adobe... Reatil Version. He and I have just throught that that may be a stright copy of the cd-rom to make it more convienent for him if he wanted to reinstall the programs again. The win98 folder contains a lot of stuff including setup.exe, totalling around 140mbs and photoshop with 105mbs, also including a file called setup.exe. But isn't cds about 650mbs or so, so how is it possible to only have this, or is it only part of it, but can it still install if I say uninstall the program and then run the setup from there with out the disk. So if he wanted to, could he backup those files to a cd-r, and have another copy (I mean backed-up).

many thanks,

08-01-2002, 10:49 AM
You certainly can with the Windows one, not sure about Photoshop though, sounds the same.

When you install the Win 98 folder onto your hardrive, you never have to insert the CD again.

08-01-2002, 10:58 AM
Sounds like both programs have been loaded to your hard drive. With windows this is becoming more common and on the plus side if you are installing a new printer or other item and it needs the CD, point it to the folder on your HD. Downside is if you have a crash and you only have the Windows Setup on your drive and not on CD, you might be no better off. If you have a CD writer might be worth while copying both folders on to CD for safe keeping.

08-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Just because a disk is 650megs dosen't means it has to be used all up.

Photoshop5.5 is around 100megs
but the full cd also includes lots of fillers like sample videos etc.things that are not necessary to make the programme run.

Therefore lots of people just copy the relevant stuff to make the programme work. In a effort to reduce space on there hard drives

Hope this explains it for you

And yes there should be able to reinstall photoshop from that directory

==Orac==

08-01-2002, 07:03 PM
Sounds like you've got some pirated software there, if you weren't aware that it is.

JM