PDA

View Full Version : SoftAP-30

SP8s
21-06-2017, 07:07 PM
Evening all

Just received a replacement Modem / Router - HG659b - and I've just attempted to set the wireless up; ethernet OK.
After much Gooleising and speaking ill of my new Modem and rouge Computer ... I'd would really appreciate any assistance from all / any of the (upper-class geekoids) who may have any information on how to get rid of the SoftAP and get back to the appropriate SSID & Password.

Most of the information I've come across has been higher than my pay grade ... I know $5.00 an hour may sound like a fortune to some of you, but the wife tells me I earn more than Donald Trump !!

Seriously, I hope someone can give me some info on how to sort this out.

Cheers & TIA

SP8's

wainuitech
21-06-2017, 09:37 PM
Is this what you are after ?

Setting Vodafone H695. Not to sure about the B But should be very similar

Log into Router via a browser http://192.168.1.1 (Vodafone Router User= Vodafone Password= vodafone) - From Home Network -- WLAN Settings -- Expand WLAN Encryption -- In there you can change the SSID, Change Password, etc Click Save when done.

SP8s
22-06-2017, 11:59 AM
Hi Wainui ... sent a couple of pics and the SSID & Passwords edited out. It's this SoftAP-32 I don't know anything about other than it's software based and it seemed to come from nowhere ... I found these instructions on 1 site, but that's to put AP32 on.

One other question ... my son tried to use Spark Broadband Assist. He's since told me it didn't work, had a hissy fit and dissapeared, any chance that could have anything to do with it ??

wainuitech
22-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Never used the software personally, and wouldn't.

SoftAP going by Wikipedia is:
SoftAP is an abbreviated term for "software enabled access point." This is software enabling a computer which hasn't been specifically made to be a router into a wireless access point. It is often used interchangeably with the term "virtual router". Source- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SoftAP

So basically its trying to turn your Computer into a router. NOT actually connect to a Router.

If you are trying to setup a wireless connection to connect to the router, I 'd suggest you do it the old fashioned and (works Better) way - On the device, scan for your SSID - and put in the Password you have.

The Spark Broadband Assist, its totally hopeless, NEVER in all the years have I seen it actually work.

Lawrence
22-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Did you have Wireless before?

If you are trying this on a Desktop not all have a Wireless Card or Adapter