PDA

View Full Version : Airflow Vs Air (spam) for cooling?

Kostas
21-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Ok so let's set a debate here:

Airflow: Normal case Pc set up where we have: 1 fan(intake) at front, 1 fan(intake) on the side, one fan (exhaust) on the back. That creates what we call airflow.

Air spam: Take off the side panel so you spam the components giving them the most amount of fresh cool air possible.

What would work better and why?
I have a Geforce nvidia 880gts 512mb hitting 90C and i need to know if i should add a side fan or just get rid of the side panel(Geto but works) :)

wratterus
21-06-2017, 03:28 PM
Side panel off will help, but is not nearly as good a getting decent airflow with fans.

What case do you have, and what size and where has it got fan mounts?

21-06-2017, 04:04 PM
all depends .
May be a case with good airflow around vid card, might be a case with poor airflow around vid card (despite all the fans)

Might have other cards installed around the vid card, may be no other cards around the vid card giving plenty of room for easy airflow

Take the side of the case off. Hot air rises, so heat will easily exit the case.
Why not try & see what works best for you. A better vid card heatsink/fan may be the way to go.

dugimodo
21-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Or does the graphics card heatsink just need a clean?

No simple answer other than what 1101 said, try it and see. A side fan if located well will direct cool air to the card, leaving the side off will not but will allow heat to escape and still help in most cases.
Case cooling can get quite complicated, positive or negative pressure?, filtered or unfiltered?, which fans to use as intakes, which to use as outlets... and you'll get debate on every point.

Lawrence
21-06-2017, 05:15 PM
Could Replace the Thermal Compound on your GPU as the Temp is getting up there ,also look at the performance of your Fans do they move lots of Air(cubic feet)

The 2 fans I have are Noctua,not only move heaps of Air but are quiet but there is other makes that do the same thing

Kostas
22-06-2017, 01:47 AM
Well thanks for the replies everyone,
I had have the thermal paste changed in both the gpu and cpu about 2 months ago cleaned the heat sinks at the same time they' re are all good. My case is a Cougar Mx200 midi tower and i have 1 fan(intake 120mm) on the front,1 fan(exhaust 80mm) on the back and just added today, 1 fan(intake 80mm) on the side panel. I think the stock heatsink for the gpu is crap but ain't worth to go for a new one since i will probably get a new card anyways. although my cpu is heating 70C as well at max load of course. I think i have pretty bad airflow....

Lawrence
22-06-2017, 07:27 AM
I see your case comes with 1 rear 80 mm fan and see it has a option for a 90 mm fan in it's place,you have a lot of air going in but just a 80 mm fan for exit along with your power supply fan

https://www.custompcparts.ie/cougar-mx200-midi-tower-gaming-case-black.ireland.direct.gaming.components#.WUq3ZYC0mM 8

Don't know if you can find any name on the rear fan to establish how air it can move,once you have look for a fan that can move the maximum amount of air without noise

tweak'e
22-06-2017, 01:08 PM
taking the side of usually screws up the air flow and allows the air to shortcut.
ie incoming air bypasses everything and goes straight out. also exhaust air is recirculated back to inlet.

something you have to watch with side fans is make sure exhaust air can clear the case well. ie not hit into a wall and flow back around the case.
i have seen some cases that had rear air inlets and they cooked the crap out of the pc.
any rear outlets needs to have a fan on it otherwise it gets turned into a hot air inlet.

Kostas
22-06-2017, 08:08 PM
Indeed
@Lawrence it came with an 80mm fan but also with a 120mm fan. Now i don't know the exact model of it but it's the stock that every company uses.

@tweak'e i've made sure that it doesn't hit the wall behind it it's about 10cm of of it.

Guys i think the problem is that my gpu( due to it's size is blocking the airflow in my case.

apsattv
22-06-2017, 09:18 PM
Can you remove any unneeded drive bays?

A photo will help?

tweak'e
23-06-2017, 11:30 AM
Indeed
@Lawrence it came with an 80mm fan but also with a 120mm fan. Now i don't know the exact model of it but it's the stock that every company uses.

@tweak'e i've made sure that it doesn't hit the wall behind it it's about 10cm of of it.

Guys i think the problem is that my gpu( due to it's size is blocking the airflow in my case.

i doubt the card is blocking case air flow. but check if the front fan is blowing air into that corner.
10cm is really close to the wall.
unless you have fans on the side (both positions) i would tape up the side vents. i would even try removing the side fans and taping up the vents. side vents can be problematic unless used just right.
makes sure there is no card next to the gpu. otherwise its really down to the gpu fan and heatsink arrangement. makes sure its clean and not filled with dust.

Lawrence
23-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Just going back to the beginning ,what temp Monitoring program is being used as some give misleading info

Paul.Cov
24-06-2017, 03:44 PM
I've been 'spam cooling' (never knew that name for it) for years.

Obviously there's a small increase in risk of fire, electrocution and damage to the computer in doing this, so I can't make a blanket recommendation to do it.

That metal wall of your case is a very important line of defence if one of your components suddenly goes up in smoke. Without that wall it could be your whole house up in smoke.

So... if you're the sort of person to leave the computer running 24/7, or unattended for hours on end, then do NOT leave the side off.

If you power off when not in use, if there's no kids or pets to go poking or piddling inside the computer, then yeah, consider spam cooling. It largely makes your input and output fans redundant (just more heat and noise if they're running), so I just rely on the CPU, PSU and GPU fans alone to do the job. Works fine.