PDA

View Full Version : Problem with SWMBO's computer

MPG
09-06-2017, 05:46 PM
Hi Folks,

Just encountered a problem with my wife's computer (my old one). She described what had happened but when I got to see the screen it was blank/black. Couldn't get it to show anything. I noted the power light was showing on the computer but there didn't appear to be any disc activity. Couldn't perform a soft boot or shut it down. After a while I turned it off at the wall and left it for some time. Upon rebooting the machine I could see that it was getting as far as the splash screen and was immediately going into sleep mode, hence the black screen when I first saw it.

Specs are as follows: ASUS P5WD2 mother board, Intel P4 3.4 Ghz, 2048Mb memory, C drive Intel SSD 120 GB, D & E drives 250 Gb, Radeon R7 200 series graphics, Philips 241P4 monitor. Windows 7 Prof x64 SP 1 installed as are the latest versions of NOD 32, Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware and CCleaner. I checked the machine less than a month ago (Belarc Advisor) and the hdds all registered as 'healthy'. At the same time I made a backup of the data files.

The machine is used mainly for emails, browsing the internet, and MS Word - nothing too taxing. We had been thinking about replacing this one with with my current machine and upgrading my computer. However, some family matters have drained our finances so we were hoping to retain this current machine for a little while yet.

Would appreciate any help to get past the splash screen and find out what is going on.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Michael

Lawrence
09-06-2017, 06:19 PM
For a start,check the board for Bulging or Leaking Capacitors seems it a old board

Speedy Gonzales
09-06-2017, 06:31 PM
See if it boots into safe mode / safe mode / networking