PDA

View Full Version : mobile harddrive

08-01-2002, 12:11 AM
Can any one tell me is it any good to have a mobile harddrive? ( Can be slide out from front of the computer case instead of the harddrive inside the case.)

Thanks.

08-01-2002, 09:21 AM
I use a 20Gb removable HD as my primary back up. They're fantastic. Obviously no speed loss (it's a normal HD) but with the ability to take the data off site at any time.

One caution though. I partitioned my fixed HD into numerous partitions to store certain things separately. When I introduced the new rem HD, it defaulted to D: which pushed everything else up one letter (ie the old D: became E:, etc). This meant reinstalling all my programs as I had them in their own partition on the old E:. It also creates a few dramas if you don't put in the rem HD as the drive letters revert to one letter previous. That's with 98SE, though I gather 2000 & XP don't do this or you are able to fix it through a setting.

08-01-2002, 09:43 AM
I have 2 of these installed in my kids computer,The first one is used on primary ide channel for operating system,Great for running multiple os's EG:the kids have their own hdd for their games etc,& when i want to use their computer i slide their hdd out & slide my hdd in.
I have cdrom set as slave to master hdd & i have another removable hdd set up on its own on the secondary ide channel,benifits of this is i can take a hdd out of another computer slide it in to mine & save files before formatting.
Another advantage if you run a business is you can back up your files to another hdd & then move them to a remote location for security or lock in a safe.
cheers Steve

08-01-2002, 09:47 AM
Welcome back chinadoll, how's the ghosting going?

I have use removable hard drives for years and endorse Ian's comments.

I would add that my practice of cross-ghosting images of C to D and D to C means that my removable drive carries everything on my computer.

When I went on holiday before Xmas I took the hard drive with me and if I had returned to an empty space where my computer should have been, I could have been back in operation inside of a couple of hours with my OS & programs just the way I like them. Just take care not to drop the removable drive!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

08-01-2002, 10:30 AM
Sorry for been behind first of all, but I never knew they existed! Just excuse me! but how do they work and whats the price at the moment out their for one of thes stuff.

08-01-2002, 10:35 AM
theres a neat little prog called letter assigner which fixes that problem of adding hardrives with win9x/me.

08-01-2002, 01:36 PM
While on the subject of removeable HDDs, does anybody have any bummer experience of the rhdd crashes due to loose connections at the back of the drive bay? I remember reading a post (maybe not at F1) about somebody loosing drives often on a similar arrangement and the pins/connections were the prime suspect.

08-01-2002, 11:34 PM
Thanks guys for the information about mobile hdd' I always wanted one to install into my computer.I did hear about lost pins/connection or pins damage.But it seems to be more positive than negative, I think I will go ahead and buy one.Thanks again for the help!

To Billy T

Norton Ghost works well for me, I love it! I ghost to partition/different drive/even CDRW.
Highly reccommemded to have it.

:=)