PDA

View Full Version : Small Startup Problem

Roscoe
05-06-2017, 11:33 AM
When I start my laptop, I receive a notice that says, "User name or password is incorrect. Try Again," and a place to enter the password. I enter the password and the laptop starts up.

Because I thought, as it said, that the password was incorrect, I went and changed the password thinking that may stop it looking for a password but that did not work.

I went to the User Accounts page and made certain that there was no tick in the box for "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" and yet it is still looking for a password and it says that the password that it finds is incorrect.

So how do I put in the correct password so that I do not receive that error message? I do not want to have to enter a password to start the laptop.

Thanks very much for your help.

dugimodo
05-06-2017, 01:28 PM
What OS ?

If windows 10 try running Netplwiz from a command prompt and entering your password there, if it's already set to not require one change it back and then set it again.
Also happens if you change the computer name for some reason.

Roscoe
05-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Thank you for your help, Dugimodo. Sorry, I should have said that I am running 8.1. Does that make a difference?

dugimodo
05-06-2017, 11:24 PM
Think it still applies, one easy way to do it, push the start key so the start screen comes up and start typing Netplwiz. You should see it come up in the search results before you finish typing. Right click it there and select run as administrator.
There's an option to require a password on login that can be disabled there, and if it's already disabled toggle it back and forth and re enter the password.

Roscoe
06-06-2017, 11:39 AM
Thanks Dugimodo. Re entering the password made the difference. Now I don't have to enter the password each time it starts up.

Much appreciated.