PDA

View Full Version : CMD window flashing open every hour

Jen
31-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Hi all,

Over the last week or two I've noticed that for an extremely brief moment a command window flashes open at 50 mins past the hour, every hour. I have looked at the task scheduler and cannot see anything that is set to run at that time.

I got creative and filmed the screen at the expected time and managed to capture the window flashing open. Even slowed down to 0.125x speed the window is very fast (~30 ms) so it is difficult to see any details. The cmd box stays empty, but I can just make out in the title bar area showing C:\Program Files\M?? with the rest too blurred to read. So I am guessing it is a Microsoft program.

Any suggestions to what is behind this, or any other program I can use to put a trace on whatever jumps into action at that point in time?

Windows 10 - fully updated and ESET Smart Security fully updated.

Thanks. :)

pcuser42
31-05-2017, 09:27 PM
Likely to be related to Office. https://twitter.com/MalwareTechBlog/status/868829302825136128

Jen
31-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Ohhh - good spotting!

I have disabled OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration so will see if the phantom window appears in 17 mins ..

wainuitech
31-05-2017, 09:42 PM
Had the same problem the other day ( thought I'd had one to many beers and seeing things) ;)

After I ran some commands to fix a minor problem it stopped. May or may not have been a coincidence.

Jen
31-05-2017, 09:54 PM
Well that appears to have sorted it. :D

Jen
31-05-2017, 09:56 PM
After I ran some commands to fix a minor problem it stopped.format c: /fs:NTFS? :devil

wainuitech
31-05-2017, 10:15 PM
format c: /fs:NTFS? :devil LOL :lol: Not quite. Haven't used that command since W98

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

pcuser42
31-05-2017, 11:15 PM
Ohhh - good spotting! I have disabled OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration so will see if the phantom window appears in 17 mins .. It's not often I have to go through Taylor Swift (https://twitter.com/swiftonsecurity)'s tweets to find tech support answers :D

wainuitech
02-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Ya think a flashing CMD box is a surprise -- Just about crapped myself :eek: :lol:

Just working in the workshop, door open, nice and fresh, nice day, just working away quite happy, only the sound of the traffic outside and a few birds, then in a LOUD bellowing female voice The damn computer all of a sudden calls out the Time-WTF :eek:

Tracked it down to a new Dock. The old free one I had been using ( objectdock) is not working with the latest Insider build, so found another free one yesterday that does the same. Didn't know there is a setting that's on by default that calls out the time every hour -------- geeeeeeeeeeeees