PDA

View Full Version : Defragging Problem

07-01-2002, 11:01 PM
I am having trouble getting my computer defragged past 19%. I had my anti virus disabled and I thought also all programs were closed but I must still have something open. I have no idea what it is can someone please tell me how I find out what program is open.

07-01-2002, 11:32 PM
if you are just using MS Defrag.exe, just boot into safe mode and then run it, if you use something else you will have to close all apps down, just shut down everything other than SysTray and Explorer.

08-01-2002, 08:39 AM
...for regular visitors to this Site who might like to see something different in response to this perennial question - here's a tip from the gnomies: [copy & paste]

<>--- GNOME TIPS & TRICKS ---<>

'...Too many times have I seen or heard the problem of Defrag getting to 10% and then restarting. Our solution is usually to reboot and run the system utility in Safe Mode.

Sometimes, however, that may be unnecessary.

(Windows XP users will never run into this problem.)

However, if you've got Win98 or ME on your machine, then pay attention:

In the Registry, navigate to -

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Applets \ Defrag \ Settings.

Now, you'll see a list of four important subkeys: Disable loadqm.exe, Disable loadwc.exe, Disable ScreenSaver, and Disable Wkdetect.exe.

Guess what you're going to do now? Double-click each of those entries' (Default) values and set them to 'YES' (in the right-hand pane). But what else usually gets interrupted with disk activity? Scandisk. So, in the same Applets hierarchy, scroll down the list until you see the Scandisk key. Continue to cascade through to its Settings key and you'll find: Disable loadqm.exe, Disable loadwc.exe, and Disable ScreenSaver.

Do the same thing here as you did for the Defrag key.

NOTE: this will only suspend operation of those utilities while Defrag or Scandisk are being run.

LOADWC.EXE (Windows Update Checker), LOADQM.EXE (Query Manager), and WKDETECT.EXE (Update Checker for Microsoft Works) can safely be turned off in the Startup tab of MSCONFIG.

Props to Keith Hall for pointing this out!...'

CREDIT: lockergnome.com

Cheers!!!

e_

08-01-2002, 08:48 AM
Hello Topsie,

There is a free, small program called powerdefrag. which should help you, download from www.mediahorizon.com

cheers,
Bob

08-01-2002, 06:00 PM
Hi Bob,
Also have same problems - but tried to find the site you mentioned - and it comes back as a birthing centre in the Bahamas?
is www/mediashorizon.com correct?
Thanks, Simon

08-01-2002, 09:01 PM
Hello Topsie,

My profound apologies, the correct address should be www.mediahorizon.net heaps of freebies and no ads as well.
good luck,
Bob

11-01-2002, 10:56 AM
Problem with defrag in 98 and ME can occur due to corrupt files, folders, or bad sectors on your hard disk.

RESOULTION: To work around this behaviour, delete the following files and folder:

1. Click start, point to settings, control panel, then folder options.
2. Click the view tab, click show all files, click apply, and then click OK.
3. Delete the Applog folder from C:\Windows, and then run the disk clean up tool.

The disk clean up tool provides an easy interface to remove temporary internet files, .tmp files, and other optional components. To start the disk clean up tool:
1. Click start, point to programms, point to accessories, point to system tools, and then click disk clean up.
2. Select the drive you wish to clean up, and then click OK
3. you may wish to take this opportunity to remove other items that are not automatically selected before you defrag eg. old unused files etc.

Hope this helps someone out there =)

11-01-2002, 10:57 AM
Problem with defrag in 98 and ME can occur due to corrupt files, folders, or bad sectors on your hard disk.

RESOULTION: To work around this behaviour, delete the following files and folder:

3. Delete the Applog folder from C:\Windows, and then run the disk clean up tool.

The disk clean up tool provides an easy interface to remove temporary internet files, .tmp files, and other optional components. To start the disk clean up tool:
1. Click start, point to programms, point to accessories, point to system tools, and then click disk clean up.
3. you may wish to take this opportunity to remove other items that are not automatically selected before you defrag eg. old unused files etc.

11-01-2002, 10:58 AM