PDA

View Full Version : to refill or not refill that is the question??

07-01-2002, 09:41 PM
Hi all, I have a dilemma.. I have a HP640c printer that came with this thing and I have run outta black ink. No problem I thought and trotted off down to the shop to buy another....The price nearly made me have a heart attack. the replacement acrtridges were from between $69 to $99 !! The bleeding printer only cost $180.00.
I have learned that this is because Hewlett Packard include the print head in the cartridge.
Anyway whaI want to know is are the refill kits ($20) any good or should I save the cash,mortgage the house and get another cartridge??

07-01-2002, 09:48 PM
Print less, that is the answer.

Never tried refills. Standard printer company policy is refill ink voids warranty and sucks. Standard refill slogan is 'it's okay to be stingy'.

Print less, then you won't care.

robo.

07-01-2002, 10:07 PM
Hi,

I have an HP 810C and I've had my doubts about refilling, but recently got a refill kit from LV Martin's called a 'FillJet'. It's made in USA. Can't praise it highly enough. Very comprehensive instructions come with it and it really is a painless process. I haven't filled my black cartridge yet but the colour one is like new. From what I've read it is OK to refill up to 5 times, then replace the cartridge.

Cheers,
Rod.

07-01-2002, 11:42 PM
You have to remember that that the viscosity of inks varies between brands. If HP includes the print head with the ink cartridge I would go for the genuine article, and follow Robos advise.

Regards, ALAN :-)

08-01-2002, 05:37 AM
Hi again dipstick 01...
I've only got an Epson 420 that came as part of my package, and when I first ran out of ink, was stuck with the same dilemma.
Posted a query and gots lots of advice ranging from 'Its ok to refill' to 'Dont refill' to people to contact for cheap generic/original cartridges.
I ended up at The Warehouse Stationery store where they have a large board full of ink refill kits. They had one for my cartridge so bought and tried it. What the heck. If I buggered up the cartridge, I could get an original replacement from a local (Chch) source for only $20.
The refill worked fine for only $8.95
I have now refilled it twice with no problems. I can print till my hearts content.
PS. My cartridge doesnt have a chip or print head attached. I suggest that if above mentioned store has refill kits for your model, try it.Otherwise it wouldnt be on the shelf. Comprehensive instructions are included.
Good Luck.
Dont forget to tell us how u got on.
Cheers.

08-01-2002, 09:19 AM
My quick advise;

Try not refilling as i did it, and it just screwed my cart. on the first print, blocked the holes! Dunno why, but doesn't just happen to one particular brand.

You should either:

1. Look for another cart.

2. Buy another of these printers as they are only $145 +gst which comes to $163.125. Well, if you are any good at Maths the ink cart. itself is more expensive than the whole machine PLUS ink and everything else. Pretty weird aren't they. If you want to know where you can get the printer for this price, reply to this post and i'll tell you.

3. Get a ink saving printer, like the HP 930 (older model) not 948 etc. as it saves so much ink, the running cost is quite cheap and its worth it if you want to print so much, as it is definately worth it in the long run. By the way, I own one of those! With these Noel 'n Leeming had it on $279.20 down form 349 during new year special otherwise you could also get these at quite a cheap price now. The original price when it came out was about 600 bucks.

4. Just follow robo's advise!

Happy printing ;-)

08-01-2002, 09:25 AM
Refills are ok but if done wrong.....
Depends where you are, you might be able to get after market new cartridges for the same model faction of the price.
In Christchurch NZ Shareware at 114a Conway Street, there is a place in Riccarton Road doing the same and one in St.Asaph Street, no doubt in Wellington or Auckland etc as well.

08-01-2002, 11:37 AM
TIP...although not stated anywhere in the documentation - nor on the packaging itself - HP cartridges do have a 'best used before' date.

If/when purchasing, check date stamp.

Some printing problems (such as spidering, and hatched or struck through lettering) will be avoided i was pleased to discover.

CREDIT: an anonymous but most helpful Junior sale's Assistant.

Cheers!!!

e_

08-01-2002, 12:21 PM
I used to own an HP400 which I refilled using the Candida range of el-cheapo refills. Had no problems with the inks themselves although you have to be careful and monitor the cartridge for inklevel otherwise the ink dries up and clogs up the jets. When this happens, I just discarded the cart and bought a legit and refilled it when a clolour gets used up. For some reason, my kids seem to go through the cyan and magenta link soda...

When my eldest's school projects started to look pale, I decided to dump the HP and went for the Canon S400. Good enough for us.

08-01-2002, 12:31 PM
Refilling can get messy. SO ... have plenty of old newspaper on the floor, and wear rubber gloves. Some refill kits include them (gloves that it, not the newspaper) ;-)

Terry@nz

08-01-2002, 02:34 PM
we used to refill HP cartridges at work - messy, but seemed to work okay (can't remember the hp model). Personally, i used candida replacement cartridges from the Stationay Warehouse twice and burnt out or blocked the print head both times at $140 a throw in my old epson printer so i don't use them no more. If the hp has it's printhead in the cartridge what have you got to lose? At worst it'll only cost you the replacement cartridge. Have a go.

08-01-2002, 04:07 PM
For my Epson Stylus 800+ (cost me $2) I went the WareHouse Stationery for a refill kit. They had new Calidad cartridge for the same price as the Calidad refill kit. So I still haven't done a refill.

I would recommend going to someone who has a business of refilling cartridges, unless you are going to do it often enough to become an expert.

You've noticed the 'Razor' pricing: 'Sell the razor at a loss, and sell the special blades forever'.

08-01-2002, 04:52 PM
Seems to me to be very 50-50. The right ink for the right refill and no problemo.

However, life seems to short to be shagging around with newspapers and rubber gloves (not my scene, anyway).

I have had an OfficeJet for two years and am still on the original cartridge. Print less. I use professional labs for photos and everything else comes out the 'laser' (apologies to Dr Evil).

It really sucks if it is cheap to buy a whole printer than a cartridge. I think we should buy the printers then put empty cartridges in them and sell them second hand.

Anyway, had to get that off my chest.

robo.

09-01-2002, 09:41 AM
Been refilling the cartridges for my HP550C for years, mainly successfully but have a new cartridge on hand for emergencies.
Recommend you get a kit designed for your cartridge, the ink appears to vary with cartrige types.
It's a messy process so use lots of newspaper and paper hankies.
www.alotofthings.com has lots of tips about clearing blocked jets and refilling the new 'chip' cartridges.

11-01-2002, 12:13 AM
Hi dipstick 01
Wondering what you've done with your printer cartridge - refill or new?
How did it go?

Cheers.

11-01-2002, 12:59 AM
sorry graeme...I havent had a chance to do anything about it yet....work has been crazy lately and havent had a chance to back to the shops yet
I'll put a post up as soon as I do