PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario v3000 running Linux

micky
28-05-2017, 06:32 PM
I was recently given an old laptop from a neighbour a Compaq Presario v3000 been mucking about with a suitable Linux distro, linux lite, xubuntu, lubuntu and ubuntu mate which worked the best which was bit slow with only 1.5gb ram.
Then I stumbled upon peppermint which I installed today it immediately recognized the broadcom wireless so I was more than happy to try that for bit seems quite good so far!
I found it a lot easier to install with out being connected to the internet a lot quicker, as you always have to do a software update as soon as you run the fresh installation.

Rod J
29-05-2017, 12:24 AM
I found it a lot easier to install with out being connected to the internet a lot quicker, as you always have to do a software update as soon as you run the fresh installation.

Yes, I agree about leaving the updates until after the initial install. Just about everybody on the Kubuntu Forums recommends doing it that way too. Most of the *buntu installs have the option to download the updates while installing but it causes more problems than it's worth and increases the install time too much especially if your internet connection isn't very fast or reliable to begin with.

Peppermint is a good choice for older hardware as you've discovered. More info: Distrowatch page for Peppermint OS (http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=peppermint).

mzee
29-05-2017, 05:29 PM
I have a Compaq Presario v3000 with "FatDog64" Linux, works well. I also double boot it with W10 on a Dell Vostro 1015. Fat Dog is very good and quick for most normal Browser, spread sheets, word processing. I only use W10 for Web editing and accounting.