PDA

View Full Version : Replacement LCD panel for Laptop

goodiesguy
26-05-2017, 08:41 AM
I've come into the possession (aka given to me) of one of these cheap no-name $300 Windows 10 laptops as sold by The Warehouse link to exact model here (http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/p/windows-10-14-inch-notebook-grey/R2134888.html#start=1). As seen in the attached photo's, the only issue with this appears to be a damaged LCD panel. Also seems easy enough to remove as well.

Is it possible to, and if so, how much would it be to get a replacement panel? Wouldn't mind getting this going, even just to play around with, doubt it will replace my trusty 2010 Core 2 Duo MacBook for Polytechnic use though.

26-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Throw it the bin.
Its $300 brand new . Its very low spec. Is the batt still any good ?
Were these ever any good when new ?
second hand value is what, maybe $150 ?

to get the panel professionally replaced will cost $140+gst upwards .
Sure you could buy a panel on ebay & DIY, but is it really worth the effort ?

:-)

goodiesguy
26-05-2017, 10:37 AM
Sure you could buy a panel on ebay & DIY, but is it really worth the effort ?

:-)

Well that was my idea, I just wondered if you can get replacements and what model number they would be.

wainuitech
26-05-2017, 11:01 AM
What you need to do is remove the actual screen from the lid, on the underside of it will be the model code, then you can get the right one. Not all screens will fit all computers.

They are easy to remove, on the front is 4 screws under plastic covers, remove the screws, then put your fingers under the bezel and carefully work it off, they will pop out, work your way around the edges of the bezel till its fully off. Then there will be screws holding the hinge mounts ( different for different models) remove them, and carefully lift out the LCD panel, checking there's no wires or anything to unplug.

On the under side is the code, search for that. to Reassemble just do it in reverse.

looking at the link its got a 14.1" screen, in NZ they are approx. $150 give or take.

From places like Ebay or aliexpress you can pick them up for $42-$70 USA. Still would need to know the right model though.

zqwerty
26-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Why not just use it with an external monitor if it is still going, it has HDMI.