PDA

View Full Version : Installing Linux

07-01-2002, 10:13 PM
Have just received Mandrake 8.0 (thanks to BC), I've got an empty partition I was gonna install it to, so I stick the CD in and restart and boot quite happily from the CD - up pops the little thing saying Press F1 for more options or Press Enter to install, so I press Enter and away it goes (well so I thought!).

Heaps of information scrolls up my screen all this stuff that refers to hardware I've got, so it looks all normal I guess, then Welcome to Linux Mandrake (8.0) (still all text, no graphical thing yet like the Tutorial on the CD suggests should appear sometime) and then it says:

'
Please wait: Trying to access a CDROM disc (drive DVD-ROM BDV212B)

Loading Program into memory (and a progress type bar that only gets about 1/3 of the way across)

error in exec of stage2 :-(
Fatal error in stage1: i/o error

I can't recover from this
You may reboot your system
Kernel Panic: vfs: unable to mount root fs on 08:05
'

then it halts and I have to reset... so basically I can't install linux :) any help appreciated! I've never used or even seen linux, so its my first try LOL

07-01-2002, 11:02 PM
Could it be something (hardware) in my system? I just chucked the install CD into my wife's computer and it went through fine (the HDD is too small for me to put linux on it just yet...) anyway, I'll list my specs here...

Gateway Select
AMD Athlon 750
256mb RAM (not gateway stuff)
20gb HDD (not gateway)
32mb TNT2 (not gateway)
56k modem (gateway)
network card (gateway)
SB Live! (gateway)
DVD Rom (not gateway... I know its not this, cause I ripped the CDROM out of my wifes computer and it had the same problem, yet worked fine on hers...)

any ideas yet anyone? This is bugging me now!

08-01-2002, 01:36 AM
I heard that linux can have problems if any drives are set to cable select rather than the usual master/slave.

Unfortunatly cable select seems to be popular with OEM computers.