PDA

View Full Version : network problem after power cut

Tony
18-05-2017, 10:05 PM
The power went out for about 90 minutes. When it came back, one of the PCs on the network has become semi-inaccessible. "semi" because I can get to it via remote desktop, but if I try through Windows Explorer it can't be found. Likewise if I try to access this PC from the one in question, I can't reach it.

So I can see the "problem" PC by one route, but not by another. Odder still, I can see the "problem" PC from the laptop, and it can see the laptop.

Needless to say I have rebooted both machines and it has made no difference.

Tony
19-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Solved - nothing to do with the power. I had turned off SMB 1.0/CFIS File Sharing Support as it is apparently super-insecure, but it looks like Windows Home Server needs it for networking. Looks like I might finally have to retire WHS, which would be a pity as it is a great OS.

Speedy Gonzales
19-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Thats what wannacry exploits. So it should be turned off. If it's got the option. I unticked it in Win10

wainuitech
19-05-2017, 11:27 AM
Solved - nothing to do with the power. I had turned off SMB 1.0/CFIS File Sharing Support as it is apparently super-insecure, but it looks like Windows Home Server needs it for networking. Looks like I might finally have to retire WHS, which would be a pity as it is a great OS.

Turning off SMB1 is ONLY a temp fix, what no one has actually posted is it actually kills any network file sharing.

NO NEED to stop using WHS, simply PATCH IT -- problem resolved.

I posted before, here again, simply go to windows download catalog, and download ( for WHS V1) Server 2003 patch ( WHS V1 was built on top of Server 2003 operating system) http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/search.aspx?q=4012598 if you have WHS 2011 then you need the Server 2008 Patch

Install the patch, and safe again.

Prier to your last post, I was going to say check the network discovery and workgroups hadn't been altered. :)

Tony
19-05-2017, 12:08 PM
I applied the patch, but if I turn off SMB1 I still can't find the server. Or are you saying that having applied the patch I don't need to turn off SMB1?

wainuitech
19-05-2017, 03:16 PM
You leave SMB1 turned on.

The patch fixes the vulnerability that the affected OS had while retaining the functions of SMB1.

If you don't have other devices or want to share on a LAN then you can turn off SMB1. All the posts that warned people and a workaround kind of forgot to mention that with SMB1 off, your LAN is more or less useless if you want to share anything.

Tony
19-05-2017, 03:20 PM
Great, thanks WT.