PDA

View Full Version : Cannot get rid of email address

Misty
14-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Friends of ours have an email address with gmail. When I go to send them a message on Xtra Webmail I get offered that email address, but also one from Yahoo for them. Now they no longer have the Yahoo
email address. I have tried to track down where it is coming from and it is no longer in my contacts. I want to get rid of it, but how can I when I can't even find it ?? Crazy !:waughh:

gary67
14-05-2017, 05:43 PM
What email client are you using?

If it comes up in the address field when you start typing just delete it from there.

Misty
14-05-2017, 05:59 PM
As I said in my post, Gary, I use Xtra Webmail.
As I said in my post - it does not show in my contacts !

I have been using computers since the first BBC and later Archimedes.
At work I used the early IBM 365 (circa 1987), have used Windows 98 second edition, the systems which followed. More recently Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 and now 10.
I have used so many programs and features that it would take me hours to summarise.
Chilling Silence will no doubt vouch that I am not an idiot.
Do you actually read posts, and think, before you respond ??

wainuitech
14-05-2017, 07:22 PM
The problem sounds like its the auto-complete kicking in ( different to the listings in contacts) . Had similar on Outlook and Windows live mail. On them, you have to dive into the system, locate the auto-complete file and alter/delete it. Doesn't matter if the name is in your contacts or not.

I know with a Program ( like Outlook) you can right click on the name and select Delete - this removes it from future entries. ( as Gary posted)

Where that file is located on Sparks web mail ??? Cant tell you, don't have a Spark email address to look for it.

Have you tried right clicking it on web mail -- Does it offer the option to delete ?

gary67
14-05-2017, 09:04 PM
The problem sounds like its the auto-complete kicking in ( different to the listings in contacts) . Had similar on Outlook and Windows live mail. On them, you have to dive into the system, locate the auto-complete file and alter/delete it. Doesn't matter if the name is in your contacts or not.

I know with a Program ( like Outlook) you can right click on the name and select Delete - this removes it from future entries. ( as Gary posted)

Where that file is located on Sparks web mail ??? Cant tell you, don't have a Spark email address to look for it.

Have you tried right clicking it on web mail -- Does it offer the option to delete ?

Which is what I was getting at before I got shouted down. The auto complete thing

wainuitech
15-05-2017, 09:16 AM
Which is what I was getting at before I got shouted down. The auto complete thing Exzackery :D

The Auto complete is what generally does it. Where its located on Sparks web mail, no idea, its easy enough to remove from a actual mail Program like Outlook.

Misty
15-05-2017, 06:18 PM
I experimented sending a message to the same couple. For whatever reason, without my having done anything at all, the only option I received was the Hotmail one, the Yahoo one did not appear at all? Now in my previous session I chose Hotmail, so that may have been an influence, or determinant, but what about the previous times I tried this ??

I may well have got a bit carried away, and do owe a vote of thanks, certainly to wainuitech (as always) and to Gary. Both Gary and I seem to have been remiss in not reading carefully all of the content of each other's posts .... so my apologies for my part.

gary67
15-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Accepted, I bear no grudge

kahawai chaser
16-05-2017, 05:15 PM
" but what about the previous times I tried this "

- One possibility is the former merger of Yahoo and Xtra email (formerly Yahoo!Xtra). I have both separate Yahoo NZ and Xtra Webmail, and when Yahoo!Xtra was active, I could use either username/password to sign in to my Yahoo!Xtra email account. Both options (usernames) would show up. Though my yahoo account was active. That is, my Yahoo Login email address would pop up, within Xtra Webmail.

Possibly, your friends former email address displayed because of the former - and recent - relationship between the two companies, perhaps using the same email server. I assume they erased their Yahoo account perhaps recently, if so, then this ought to have prevented their email address appearing. within Xtra webmail currently.... But then their were issues too, when Xtra emails were bought "home" to NZ SMX (September to April this year I think), after the Yahoo partnership ended.