PDA

View Full Version : System waking itself

Driftwood
12-05-2017, 11:18 AM
Got one system here, Win 10 pro.
After every update it will wake itself.
It just had to be SWMBO's office system too.
I have changed it to do it in daylight hours, but haven't been successful in preventing it.
Have tried the last wake command but that only shows 1 count, not what is doing it.
I assume it is the update process. How can I terminate that without upsetting it too much.
I have disabled wake timer in power settings.

12-05-2017, 11:30 AM
simple fix...turn the thing off at end the the day :)

Driftwood
12-05-2017, 11:50 AM
As I said, it's SWMBO's system.
She just gets up & walks away when she's finished with it.

linw
12-05-2017, 12:25 PM
Yes, and she should be able to do that.

Have you checked the power management of the network adapter. Don't allow it to be turned off and don't let it wake the comp.

Driftwood
12-05-2017, 12:59 PM
It's ticked to allow turn off but not to wake.

12-05-2017, 02:42 PM
It's ticked to allow turn off but not to wake.

Is it going into full sleep, hybernate , or just the monitor going to sleep ?
when its still in sleep mode, will it wake with a mouse wiggle, or need to push power button to wake it ?

Used to also be sleep\wake options in the bios , not so much nowadays though

this may help
https://www.howtogeek.com/122954/how-to-prevent-your-computer-from-waking-up-accidentally/

yes power save & sleep 'should' be able to be used . But sometimes it just doesnt properly work & needs to be disabled .

Driftwood
12-05-2017, 04:52 PM
Definitely sleeping.
No engine noise, just an led blinking.
Mouse and keyboard have been disabled from waking.
Have to push the power button to start.
I'm pretty certain it will be Mr MS having a scheduled look.

Driftwood
13-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Seems to have settled down again.
Usually does it several times after an update.

mzee
13-05-2017, 08:57 PM
I only have one PC on Windows 10 and got really fed up because every time I wanted to use it there would be all sorts of updates going on. I disabled auto updates 4 months ago and have had no problems since. BTW Microsoft can start your computer up at any time. When you close down, disconnect from the Internet, you could save a lot of data.

wainuitech
13-05-2017, 09:13 PM
BTW Microsoft can start your computer up at any time. When you close down, disconnect from the Internet, you could save a lot of data. Got your tinfoil hat on as well have you ?

The only reason a computer starts on its own is because its been set to. There will be some settings. What the hell do you really think MS would want to start your turned off computer for ? If they did imagine the law suits they would be hit with.

If its shut down fully the Only way is to send a WOL packet, or a power related problem, seen a power spike start a PC, nothing to do with MS and please explain as out of all the millions of computers in the world MS would select yours. Talk about paranoid LOL

linw
13-05-2017, 10:34 PM
@mzee, just can't believe you are boasting about stopping updates after the latest ransomeware problem reported widely, including here.