PDA

View Full Version : Import emails

gary67
11-05-2017, 05:26 PM
HI

Anyone give me a pointer on getting my .pst file into Thunderbird?

Wilko
11-05-2017, 09:23 PM
HI

Anyone give me a pointer on getting my .pst file into Thunderbird?

If you still have your previous email program on your computer, open Thunderbitd, click on the 3 horizontal lines near the top right of the screen, then pick TOOLS from the resulting drop-down. Click on Import..., then follow the prompts to import everything, or just the items you choose. Follow the prompts and before long you should have everything you want loaded into Thunderbird.

wratterus
12-05-2017, 08:55 AM
I think you would need to convert the .pst into a .mbox file to be able to do this? Not sure if that's even possible sorry.

12-05-2017, 10:37 AM
If you have Outlook on the PC, Thunderbird may be able to import pst via Outlook

This is the big issue with 3rd party email clients: import & export.
Usually there is no support to move to another email program if you get p*ssed off with it .
So once you go to tbird, you will be stuck on it . Consider carefully , tbird does have some annoying bugs

If you have Outlook, stick with it. Just for ease of moving PST's between new & old PC's .

12-05-2017, 10:38 AM
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_.pst_files

fred_fish
12-05-2017, 06:45 PM
So once you go to tbird, you will be stuck on it .Thunderbird uses the mbox format for local storage, which is plain text. You can read it with notepad if you want. Any lack of import facility from that format, by any particular application, is a deliberate strategy to restrict user choice rather than any technical or legal restriction, unlike .pst.
Consider carefully , tbird does have some annoying bugs ?
At least it's standards compliant (and IMAP works properly).
If you have Outlook, stick with it. Just for ease of moving PST's between new & old PC's .until they change the format (again), or require "cloud integration".

gary67
12-05-2017, 08:35 PM
I tried importing but it didn't go too well so for now I have reinstalled office 07 until I can get my emails sent to one of my other accounts for storage then I'll change.