PDA

View Full Version : Press F1 response counter not updating

07-01-2002, 08:39 PM
Hi Team

Has anybody else noticed that the response counter sometimes does not update for hours or even at all? For example, the query re Word 97 was posted at 19:09 and a response was posted at 19:17 but as of 19:35 the counter still shows zero.

I have been watching this for a while now and I have seen some responses stay unrecorded for up to a day or more. Wazzup Robo?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

07-01-2002, 09:07 PM
Are you hitting your refresh button Billy?

On your computer I mean.

07-01-2002, 10:00 PM
All ok here.. try using CTRL and F5 to refresh - you'll find it will update even the most recent posts :-)

J.

08-01-2002, 12:00 AM
Hey guys, I'm not a newbie! Never mind refreshing, this is happening after I log off and back on again later. The instance I pointed out tonight finally refreshed the counter at 19:40, 23 minutes after the response first appeared.

Billy 8-{)

08-01-2002, 06:02 PM
This is a database. To update those counters it has to do a scan of the database. I suppose a tight loop could bump the numbers 'instantaneously'. There might not be much CPU time left for trivial things like accepting and storing new postings, formatting the home page, and sending out replies to requests for the page.

It might be simpler to make the 'post' button work only once in five minutes for any one user.

08-01-2002, 11:25 PM
my question is why on such a simple site do you get 'lag' at all? some of the game forums i go to are hosted on 'free'(and no adds) servers and have far more complex options with out any of the problems we regulary get here.