PDA

View Full Version : Replacement Graphics in Water Cooled machine

DeSade
05-05-2017, 11:07 AM
I need to replace my dual 980Ti's with a single 1080Ti.

Currently I have a water cooling system that incorporates a waterblock for the two cards and I need to know what I have to do (and how) to reduce that to the single 1080Ti.

I am a Water-Cooling novice so please including everything pertinent.

wratterus
05-05-2017, 11:14 AM
If you are a watercooling novice....get someone else to do it. :2cents:

DeSade
05-05-2017, 11:20 AM
If you are a watercooling novice....get someone else to do it. :2cents:

You are right of course
But I do need to learn how to deal with a WC system if I ever want to be able to continue to upgrade my own machines.

wratterus
05-05-2017, 11:33 AM
Fair point. Basically - there should be a drain port on your build, you can power the pump up and pump all the liquid out of the system.

Then you'd need to remove the tubing from the cards - obviously covering the cards etc before doing this. I like using paper towels, and then covering any exposed tube ends up with a small bag and a rubber band, or glad wrap so it can't drip.

Then you'd install your new backplate and heatsink on your new card, install it, fill the system through the fill port, then leak test the system - again I'd cover the whole area around any fittings you've changed with paper towels and run the pump for a few hours. Once you're happy, then power the PC up and away you go.

That is extremely basic.....even installing the heatsink on the cards can be pretty complex.

Computer Lounge are the best guys in NZ to get you the necessary bits and pieces.

wratterus
05-05-2017, 11:52 AM
*that explanation is extremely basic I should say.

DeSade
05-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Fair point. Basically - there should be a drain port on your build, you can power the pump up and pump all the liquid out of the system.

Then you'd need to remove the tubing from the cards - obviously covering the cards etc before doing this. I like using paper towels, and then covering any exposed tube ends up with a small bag and a rubber band, or glad wrap so it can't drip.

Then you'd install your new backplate and heatsink on your new card, install it, fill the system through the fill port, then leak test the system - again I'd cover the whole area around any fittings you've changed with paper towels and run the pump for a few hours. Once you're happy, then power the PC up and away you go.

That is extremely basic.....even installing the heatsink on the cards can be pretty complex.

Computer Lounge are the best guys in NZ to get you the necessary bits and pieces.

Computer Lounge built the system in the first place.
Can I use the same waterblock for the dual cards on a single card? If so how to I block off one of the sides?

I would love to just take it back to them to sort out but they are in Auckland.

Is there anyone in Christchurch that would be willing to help me with this?
I spent a fortune on this machine and my need to learn is outweighed by my need to not fry the system.

wratterus
05-05-2017, 12:45 PM
You definitely won't be able to use the same waterblock. You'd need to get one specifically for the 1080Ti, and make sure that it will fit with all the tubing/fittings etc that you currently have.

There has got to be someone in Chch who could do this for you...I'd start with CL though and see what they say regarding which bits you'll need.

DeSade
05-05-2017, 01:02 PM
You definitely won't be able to use the same waterblock. You'd need to get one specifically for the 1080Ti, and make sure that it will fit with all the tubing/fittings etc that you currently have.

There has got to be someone in Chch who could do this for you...I'd start with CL though and see what they say regarding which bits you'll need.

I sent them an email for the parts list.

Driftwood
05-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Why does it need all that cooling.
Is it severely overclocked or in a tiny case.
I run a GTX 1080 on the stock cooler at 4.2GHz.
Only hear the fans on a very hot day.

DeSade
05-05-2017, 02:40 PM
Why does it need all that cooling.
Is it severely overclocked or in a tiny case.
I run a GTX 1080 on the stock cooler at 4.2GHz.
Only hear the fans on a very hot day.

This machine has water cooling.
It needs cooling like all computers and I decided to go with a water system this time.
I don't think the system is excessive in the cooling department.

pctek
06-05-2017, 04:31 PM
Your choice. I never liked it.
Water and electronics...hmm.

I always had very high end graphics etc too, never needed anything other than stock cooling.

which is a lot simpler and less hassle too.