PDA

View Full Version : Can't access Gargoyle router

pcuser42
04-05-2017, 08:16 AM
I have an old WR1043ND router with Gargoyle flashed on it, and I'm trying to flash the default firmware back onto it so I can sell it. Unfortunately I can't seem to be able to access the web interface as it doesn't want to get an IP address. I've tried plugging my laptop directly into it, and tried plugging the WAN port of the router into the rest of the network, but no IP address there either, even when statically assigned using the HG659.

It's been so long since I've touched it that I have no idea how I've got it set up :lol:

Anyone got any ideas as to how to get into the router?

wainuitech
04-05-2017, 09:02 AM
As long as the router is actually working, you plug the computer directly into a LAN port, not the WAN. open command prompt, type in ipconfig, and it will give you a default gateway, that's the address you use -- The user name and password --That's a different story - hope you remember it :)

pcuser42
04-05-2017, 09:07 AM
As long as the router is actually working, you plug the computer directly into a LAN port, not the WAN. open command prompt, type in ipconfig, and it will give you a default gateway, that's the address you use -- The user name and password --That's a different story - hope you remember it :) That was the first thing I tried, it wasn't getting a default gateway :)

wainuitech
04-05-2017, 10:43 AM
Just been looking at some videos, Don't know if these will work, but they are for a bricked TP-Link returning to original working firmware.

First video is longer but explains things nicely ( guy talking). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hWT35w6sVI

Second one is basically the same ( same router as yours, same procedure) but shorter and doesn't explain anything only text on screen - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b81CWCBYf2w

Then again maybe Chill or someone else can post another method. :)

Kame
04-05-2017, 06:42 PM
Chill would be more familiar with this, I have never used Gargoyle at all.

If you are not getting an IP means it probably did not have DHCP enabled. The default IP for Gargoyle is normally 192.168.1.1, so manually set your laptop IP to something like 192.168.1.50/255.255.255.0 and gateway 192.168.1.1, then try accessing the web interface, http://192.168.1.1/ hopefully that's all you need and you can manage the rest. If the default IP was changed, which is possible, maybe you did the next IP 192.168.1.2.

Maybe do a hard reset and try the above too if you can do a hard reset, it may even turn DHCP back on.

pcuser42
04-05-2017, 09:11 PM
Maybe do a hard reset and try the above too if you can do a hard reset, it may even turn DHCP back on.

Cheers for that suggestion, I thought I'd done that but it turns out the router had to be on for that to work :lol:

I'm now in the web interface and it turns out it had OpenWRT on it :p

linw
05-05-2017, 08:44 AM
Didn't mention the hard reset as I didn't want to insult you!!

We all have 'moments'.