PDA

View Full Version : Computer fails to POST..no Beep codes

kioti
30-04-2017, 03:25 AM
A friend who is overseas has a problem with her computer: Its Crashed.Fails to POST and go on to open Windows.
The computer for quite some time had become sluggish and was taking 15+ minutes to POST and Boot into Windows.
Then one day it showed nothing but a Black Screen and has been that way a few weeks.

I Only know that the Mobo is an Asus p5b-e model, any other hardware names/models I do not know.

Here is that which I do know about the computer and what has been done to try to get it to Boot open into Windows

CMOS has been cleared
the 4x1GB sticks of RAM have been removed and all combinations from 1 stick of RAM to all 4 sticks have been tried
CPU has been removed and reseated
The Graphics card is the only means of connecting the computer to the monitor as the Asus p5b-e mobo does not have any outlets.
The Monitor has been checked for working by disconnecting it from the AVG of the graphics card and noting the message onscreen saying cable is not connected

So not having a spare PCI graphics card to use I am in a situation that is rather annoying.

When computer is powered on, all LED's light up, HDD led stays red and isn't flickering indicating HDD Activity, keyboard leds glow. Monitor led stays orange and doesn't change to green.
All fans inside computer are spinning.
Oh dear, what can the matter be?
The fact that the mobo doesn't have integrated graphics and a VGA outlet at least is a PITA.

So, my friends, what would be your thoughts on the whereabouts of the problem that needs fixing?
All replies welcomed.

Thanks,
Kioti

apsattv
30-04-2017, 05:04 AM
I have a p5 be here as a spare with manual and box right here if you want me to check anything. Can you get into the bios at all? Delete will get you in.

is the network light coming up? at back of the pc

Can your friend make a UBCD and boot from it? it has all type of built in tests
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

Lawrence
30-04-2017, 06:31 AM
A majority of Boards from that era suffered from bulging caps or leaking caps

Usually you get errors prior to having not start

Get your friend to have a close look at every cap in good light,have had to rebuild 2 LGA775's in the last 12 Months due to this problem

kioti
30-04-2017, 09:20 AM
I have a p5 be here as a spare with manual and box right here if you want me to check anything. Can you get into the bios at all? Delete will get you in.

is the network light coming up? at back of the pc

Can your friend make a UBCD and boot from it? it has all type of built in tests
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html

apsattv: haven't tried getting into BIOS yet. Will do shortly when friend wakes. She tried using Windows boot disc but that does nothing because she can't get it past post.
I don't think she can even get into Safe Mode. Will ask shortly.
I am familiar with UBCD and will ask if she has it. As her comps not booting she can't d-load UBCD.

Thanks
kioti

kioti
30-04-2017, 09:25 AM
A majority of Boards from that era suffered from bulging caps or leaking caps

Usually you get errors prior to having not start

Get your friend to have a close look at every cap in good light,have had to rebuild 2 LGA775's in the last 12 Months due to this problem
Lawrence: Thanks. I will pass on to her your suggestion to check all caps for leakage or bulging/blown tops.
Could well be in that area the fault lies as the build up to the final black screen was gradual.

Thanks
kioti

pctek
30-04-2017, 09:30 AM
A friend who is overseas has a problem with her computer: I
The computer for quite some time had become sluggish

So not having a spare PCI graphics card to use I am in a situation that is rather annoying.

Sluggish is probably unrelated to the hardware fault.
The only way to test is to put another graphics card in it.
Why are you, in another country wasting your time? She will have to either ring a tech or borrow one from someone nearby.

wainuitech
30-04-2017, 11:59 AM
HDD led stays red and isn't flickering indicating HDD Activity, If the LED stays on consistently, that's a sign its trying to read the drive but cant.
Usually that's a sign of either the HDD is failing or the connection on the Motherboard has /is failing.

One simple test to determine, disconnect the HDD completely, try booting from a DVD, either Windows or Linux. If it boots then it points to a HDD related problem. If not then it may be the motherboard or Graphic Card.

kioti
30-04-2017, 03:04 PM
She is/was considering buying a replacement Mobo and CPU. I am trying to determine if problem is Graphics card. She doesn't have anyone from whom to borrow a card

Thanks

kioti
30-04-2017, 03:06 PM
pctek
She is/was considering buying a replacement Mobo and CPU. I am trying to determine if problem is Graphics card. She doesn't have anyone from whom to borrow a card so if it is the graphics card she can purchase one instead of buying a Mobo and CPU

Thanks
kioti

kioti
30-04-2017, 03:13 PM
If the LED stays on consistently, that's a sign its trying to read the drive but cant.
Usually that's a sign of either the HDD is failing or the connection on the Motherboard has /is failing.

One simple test to determine, disconnect the HDD completely, try booting from a DVD, either Windows or Linux. If it boots then it points to a HDD related problem. If not then it may be the motherboard or Graphic Card.

wainuitech
Will have her disconnect all hardware bar PSU/CPU/RAM and Optic Drive and try see if it Posts or Boots from Windows DVD or Linux GParted disc. I can point her to site to download GParted.

Thanks
kioti

edit: will the computer open to POST without a HDD?

wainuitech
30-04-2017, 03:14 PM
pctek
She is/was considering buying a replacement Mobo and CPU. I am trying to determine if problem is Graphics card. She doesn't have anyone from whom to borrow a card so if it is the graphics card she can purchase one instead of buying a Mobo and CPU

Thanks
kioti That's can be an expensive or foolish move buying components and hoping it's the right one, considering you haven't actually determined the source of the problem. Once you can narrow it down to what it Isn't -like you have with the Memory, then you try something else.

edit: will the computer open to POST without a HDD? To a degree it will, it should try to start then you get error beeps, indicating No HDD. The Post (Power On Self Test) should figure out it doesn't have a HDD. As long as the Motherboard will allow you into the BIOS, you can change the boot order (if required) to boot from the optical Drive or USB drive first.

apsattv
01-05-2017, 06:57 AM
One step at a time, try to get into the bios first
The other thing that motherboard has both IDE and SATA. Is she using an older IDE HD?, on mine im using an older IDE DVD drive (which has stopped working) and one of the sata ports for the hard drive. Also on mine the onboard network has failed.

01-05-2017, 09:52 AM
Asus p5b-e

that board is 10 years old.
Honestly, its time to buy another PC . Its going to be VERY hard to diag a 10year old system in another country.

Replace RAM, power supply, vid card, remove all cables (esp USB) . This is why its not practical without spare parts to to swap in

I would bet it being a motherboard fault .

pctek
01-05-2017, 10:40 AM
That's can be an expensive or foolish move buying components and hoping it's the right one.

Yes.
Tell her to ring a tech. best option.